Hello again from Stoke!

whiterabbit

Hello to all.

Cant believe it! I too have sat on the fence too long and decided to take the plunge today. Inspired when as a child watching first Apollo landling. Eventually the inevitable Tasco and then grew old.

Must be something in the 'Potteries' air as I too, like neuxs21, went for the Celestron 127 SLT 5" and have had brilliant views of Jupiter and more recently Saturn when clear skies have allowed.

John

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi john

Like you I viewed Saturn a couple of weeks back, unfortunately in-between the branches of a 80ft tree in next door’s garden but still got to see the rings. Saturn at the moment appears at the front of my house. My front lawn as close to a road so didn’t fancy setting it up there. So I broke every rule in the book and set it up in my bedroom and opened a window. Got to see Jupiter and its 4 moons, however both Saturn and Jupiter were just bright and yellow. What detail did you see?

Andrew

Thank you all very much for the warm welcome and sorry to hear Andrew about the 80ft tree. However, I have to spot my chances with Saturn tonight by peering through the gantry of a local football pitches floodlights only 50ft away! Should be ok later as night goes on.

Before Christmas I enjoyed some crisp, albeit small, images of Jupiter with easily recognisable banding and the four main moons. Saturn too very crisp but I have to get a better selection of EP's.

John

Hi 'kharga'. Would really like to attend the Peak Star Party. Know the venue well as I use the bookshop nearby. I bought the 127SLT as a 'grab and go' with intention of using whilst camping/caravaning at Beresford Dale so not that far away.

Hi John, welcome to SGL.

Iam pleased that you are happy with your scope, a friend has one and it provides really excellent Lunar viewing.

Hope you got out tonight, it's not too bad here, but had to pack up early as I have to get up at six.

Enjoy your new scope. :o

Archived