Hi Everybody

tibbs1972

Hello Everybody,

Started in January, got a Celestron 5" scope after watching Stargazing Live, as many people probably did I suspect.

It was the final push I needed to spark my enthusiasm. Can't put the thing down now, out every night if clear.

Looking forward to learning the tips and tricks for imaging with my DSLR camera. That should be a challenge. I havn't tried it through the scope yet.

This morning, I puchased a 1.25" T-adapter and Cannon EOS T-ring from FLO for £30.34, cheapest anywhere as far as I could see. Got an e-mail a few hours later saying it had been posted. Excellent Service.

I didn't know much about the constellations before January, but now I can locate the big dipper, Orion, bootes, polaris ........

I've also seen Saturn and Jupiter and also the Pleiades cluster. Chuffed!

I've also learned some of the names of stars, e.g Rigel, Mizar,Alcor, Arcturus etc.

I've learnt a bit about multiple stars ie binary systems as well.

I managed to Polar align the German EQ mount, but I'm having difficulty using the slow motion knobs to find stuff. So far I've found objects using the finder scope instead.

Havn't managed to find and galaxies yet, I need more practice.

I hope I can get the trick of it eventually.

I can't believe that before January, when I looked up on a clear winter evening and said WOW !, I was so ignorant that all I knew was the north star and the big dipper.

Looking forward to many more amazing observations.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say thanks for the warm welcomes, when I'm not stargazing, I've found this is the most addictive site I ever browsed.

Always seems to be active, lots of hints and tips, superb images and I must say so far, the most polite conversation I've seen on the web. (no trolls either).

Hi Tibbs

A very warm welcome to the SGL

Information for you Mizar and Alcor are Binary stars and there are seven stars there but we only see two, so it said on Sky and night

Clear skies

Doug

Hi Tibbs and welcome to the forum.

A bit of a learning curve at the beginning but it quickly straightens out. Pobably a bit steeper again as far as imaging is concerned but I'm sure you'll get there and have fun along the way.

Clear skies in the meantime.

James

Archived