SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Does anyone use a journal to record their observation sessions

For the last fifty years I've been using a typists flip pad at the scope to record my thoughts/ comments and observations...

Then, when I get the time - as soon as possible after - I transfer the "rough" to an A4 hardcover ledger book which has lines on one side and plain on the other.

I've now got a fair collection of these notebooks going back to my first observations (1961) with a 60mm Frank refractor and a 1/2" Ramsden eyepiece...

(Nowadays I also make use of Paul Rodman's excellent AstroPlanner V2 software - you can record your observations, import images and set up objects for observation from the extensive list of catalogues.)

For the last fifty years I've been using a typists flip pad at the scope to record my thoughts/ comments and observations...

Then, when I get the time - as soon as possible after - I transfer the "rough" to an A4 hardcover ledger book which has lines on one side and plain on the other.

I've now got a fair collection of these notebooks going back to my first observations (1961) with a 60mm Frank refractor and a 1/2" Ramsden eyepiece...

(Nowadays I also make use of Paul Rodman's excellent AstroPlanner V2 software - you can record your observations, import images and set up objects for observation from the extensive list of catalogues.)

That's impressive, fifty years of observations and notes. What's the most memorable observation you've had in that time?

As a newcomer to Astronomy it hadn't really occured to me that a large part of the subject could be the recording of observations - I must get myself a notepad immediately! AstroPlanner looks very intersting too - I will investigate that.

I only have the current notebook with me...the others are still in storage back in Oz (I hope!!!)

I do remember a night in March(?) 1981...we were on a caravan holiday with the kids in northern South Australia, just outside Hawker.

I only had a pair of 10 x 50 binos with me but...

after the kids crashed I went outside and walked maybe 50 metres..I honestly couldn't see my hand infront of my face..it was so dark. The Milky way was visible right down to the horizon and even I with some experience was getting lost in the myriads of naked eye stars. I think I counted 20 or so Messier objects that night!

What caught my eye was a glow in the West...Hmm there's no towns in that direction - Cooper Peedy....then it dawned on me I was seeing a brighter Zodiacal Light than I'd ever seen before... a large bright searchlight of a cone of light stretching up and up and as you followed it you realised it actually formed a band across the whole sky - even the brightening of the Gegenschein was noticable.

What a night to remember!!

I prefer (well don't seem to have got round to doing anything better) using random scraps of paper, that I try to avoid losing. It is interesting to go back and see how many comets have been visible over the past 15yrs or so. I have a little book, but as quite a few of my notes are on printed out starfishes I don't think it'll ever get any neater!

Cheers

PEterW

I have only just started star-gazing but have kept a journal so far. I tend to make rough notes in the field and then write it up neatly when I get in as a wind down exersise before hitting the hay.

I've always kept an observing journal. I make rough notes on the back of an envelope when I'm outside and then write them up when I get in. I've got a whole series of hard backed note books now. It's been quite good while the bad weather has been around, to look back over the things I've seen and how my knowledge and understadning has improved.

I use an A5 plain paper hard back notebook for keeping a diary of my observations. I also stick copies of photographs taken and annotate them afterwards when I can take my time to identify moon craters, stars, nebulae, etc. This helps me to learn to identify them.

I've started printing out a plan of things I'd like to look at in a fairly large font so I can read it easily and putting that on a clipboard. I then make notes on the same sheet as I go along and write them all up on the computer later.

I quite like the idea of having notes on paper, but I own several thousand books already and I'm running out of space to keep them :)

James

I only have the current notebook with me...the others are still in storage back in Oz (I hope!!!)

I do remember a night in March(?) 1981...we were on a caravan holiday with the kids in northern South Australia, just outside Hawker.

I only had a pair of 10 x 50 binos with me but...

after the kids crashed I went outside and walked maybe 50 metres..I honestly couldn't see my hand infront of my face..it was so dark. The Milky way was visible right down to the horizon and even I with some experience was getting lost in the myriads of naked eye stars. I think I counted 20 or so Messier objects that night!

What caught my eye was a glow in the West...Hmm there's no towns in that direction - Cooper Peedy....then it dawned on me I was seeing a brighter Zodiacal Light than I'd ever seen before... a large bright searchlight of a cone of light stretching up and up and as you followed it you realised it actually formed a band across the whole sky - even the brightening of the Gegenschein was noticable.

What a night to remember!!

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing that. I hope to be able to experience something like that in my lifetime, it sounds like such a profound experience. I'll keep trying and with a bit of luck, a clear sky and all the friendly people on SGL I think it's achievable.

I also must visit the other side of this blue planet. My parents were lucky enough to work out in Australia for a few years back in the sixties and they have such good memories about that time. Combining a long trip with some Astronomy sounds like a plan to me....best lobby 'senior management' about this. :)

Edit : Speeling!

I use a small digital recorder, and then transfer the notes to a regular notebook when i get the chance. When using a recorder there's no need to look away from the eyepiece, and the descriptions are more detailed than they would be if i were to write things down.

Hmmm

My wife bought me a recording Walkman way back then...she thought it would help me do as you say - give detailed observational records...

Well to be honest - I couldn't stand the sound of my monotonic voice and never really got the hang of transcribing the tape to the ledger book. I went back to the typist notebook.

Does the murmuring keep the bears and critters away Carol?:)

Hi Daz. :D Yes, the animals give a wide berth as long as they know i'm there, except for the Deer. They're quite comfortable around me and often wander within 15' as they're grazing, even during the daytime... it's pretty cool, actually. And nothing's lovelier than watching a Doe feed her twin Fawns in the moonlight. :)

The recorder is set on voice activation and has captured Wolves howling, Horses whinnying, Bobcats fighting, Owls hooting, and even a Loon (UK's Northern Diver?) that flew over the Starpad at 2:00 in the morning.

Here's a gruesome thought... if an animal decides to put me on the dinner menu some night, at least there'll be a record of it for the Sheriff's report. :(:p

Archived