Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn with bins - will I be disappointed?

MrsR

So far today the sky has been clear so hoping for an evenings observing and I have yet to see saturn through my bins so wondering if I should or will I be disappointed and best to wait till I get some scope?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took mine to work last night as it was the first clear night we've had for ages and i had a look at saturn and could see the 'ears' poking out the side but no detail and it was tiny! I think if you ad a decent tripod it'd be worth a punt.. my tripod weighs a ton and i think my boss might be a bit :) it i go it out in the middle of a shift :p

You may be a little disappointed....

The magnification it's really high enough to show the rings etc.

Steadying them on a monopod ( the end of the broom handle :)) helps but you really need a telescope to show any detail.

I've never seen the rings as a separate object under 20x - and even then it is very difficult.

You really need a telescope to bring out detail - the goodness starts at around 40x, when you can clearly see the ring and, usually Titan too!

Dan

Thanks, good to know - might pop out later tonight but think my husband is feeling a little abandoned after tonights clear sky so might not be able too lol

Best view approx 02:30 directly South for Staurn, It's a shame that hubby is not interested in Astronomy, it may be better once he looks though a good telescope

like a 8" scope

Clear skies

Doug

Essex

Doug I asked him about that and he said "Well if you see something good call me and I'd have a quick look but that is about it, I couldn't spend hours looking like you do studying it all". Sadly I don't think he will get the astronomy bug :)

Mrs R

Some do some don't that is life, I had to put things I liked on hold until the Kids had grown up, he sounds just like the wife :p:)

but I do Astronomy and She does Open University courses and

Last year she passed here Accountancey and got a degree

so I can't say to much and she done that just for fun I supose she could work from home -One day

Doug

I had a look through some 25x70's the other night about 1am. Propped the bins on the garden fence to minimise the wobble, and could make out a yellow dot with definite 'wings'. I haven't got my first scope yet so have never seen Saturn with anything other than the naked eye, and I must admit to getting rather giddy at the view, even through bins.

I had a look through some 25x70's the other night about 1am. Propped the bins on the garden fence to minimise the wobble, and could make out a yellow dot with definite 'wings'. I haven't got my first scope yet so have never seen Saturn with anything other than the naked eye, and I must admit to getting rather giddy at the view, even through bins.

Hello Dod,

The proper spelling for a first time sighting is: SATURN!!!!:p

No doubt, you will know how to pronounce this when the time comes. :)

Dan

Hello Dod,

The proper spelling for a first time sighting is: SATURN!!!!:p

No doubt, you will know how to pronounce this when the time comes. :)

Dan

Heh, of course, thanks for the tip. I'll have to get practising for when the time is right :).

I had a look last night at Saturn with my 20x60 Pentax binoculars and could just see the rings. However there was a lot of flaring and false colour, I can't judge whether this was due to Saturn being quite low down. I am not experienced enough to be able to tell if this is caused by the atmosphere or the binoculars.

I didn't really mind as binoculars are not designed for planets! It is fun to have a quick look anyway!

I was out on Friday night at a society viewing evening with some new Revelation 15x70 Bins and a decent tripod borrowed from a society member. Ended the evening with a series of views of Saturn. Through bins an oval dot - could definately see the orientation of the rings. Veryy happy. Then someone offered me a sight throught a 15" obsession - all I can say is WOW!!! Completely blown away. On the plus side it took me 5 mins to pack up. He took about an hour.

Correction to the above:

The proper spelling for a first time sighting is: WOW! OMG! SATURN!!!! AMAZING!:)

Certainly that is a good response to seeing Saturn in a scope but in bins it really isnt that good.

At best.............you will see a teeny tiny disc with what appear to be ears on either side.

Sorry to bear bad news but some things in the universe look SPECTACULAR with bins.Planets are not included in those objects.

Certainly that is a good response to seeing Saturn in a scope but in bins it really isnt that good.

At best.............you will see a teeny tiny disc with what appear to be ears on either side.

Sorry to bear bad news but some things in the universe look SPECTACULAR with bins.Planets are not included in those objects.

Spoil sport!!! :(

I'm a type II diabetic. I tend not to sugar coat things,LOL.

Being a medical person that is the best quote I have heard for a long time - brilliant :o that has really tickled me.

Archived