Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

If All Goes To Plan, Tonight Is The Night

G2EWS

Hi All,

This is hopefully it!

Meeting up with Salisbury Plain Observing Group (SPOG) tonight and will be using my kit for the first time!

Not doing any astro photography just viewing. Need to make sure it all does what it is supposed to and I have everything I need. Bound to be something else required of course!

Getting all excited like a kid and watching the forecast to make sure no clouds come in. If they do I will be very upset! Oh and I might cry!

Wish me luck :)

Regards

Chris

Hope it goes well !

We've been spoiled up here with clear nights recently.

Bit patchy at the moment so maybe you've borrowed the clear skies from Scotland.......????

If so, we want them back when you've finished with them.

Neil

Hi All,

Thank you.

Hi Neil,

Promise you can have them back next week!

Looks like we might be clear on Sunday as well. This will give me a chance to see what I can get in the back garden once I have added to my knowledge tonight.

Best regards

Chris

Hi All,

Just back and it was great fun.

Took a few attempts to align the NEQ6 goto. Whilst trying to align, it was showing stars in a completely different location. Then said I was 45 degrees out after I finished!

Third time it sorted itself out. Still don't know why it was doing it, but will see what happens the next time.

Then had a bit of difficulty getting the baader hyperions to focus correctly when used in 1.25" mode. Alright on 2" mode.

Can anyone confirm that the additional piece gives more magnifaction when converted to 1.25"? We were not sure. Will have a play in the day time.

Looked at so many things I cannot begin to tell you what they were. So much to learn!!!

However, the rings of Saturn were awesome!

Overall it was really great fun and the guys so very helpful, without whom I would still be there trying to find whatever it was I was looking at!

If the sky is clear on Sunday as the weather forecast states then I will go in the back garden and have a go on my own.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Chris, glad to see you had a nights observing with the new kit :p

Not sure about the Hyperions as I have never used one but I am sure they have the option to change to focal length thus giving you two ep's for the price of one :)

....Can anyone confirm that the additional piece gives more magnifaction when converted to 1.25"? We were not sure. Will have a play in the day time....

Congratulations on your 1st light Chris :)

With all the Hyperions, bar the 24mm I think, the 1.25" barrel part contains an additional lens set which gives them their various focal lengths. Without this I believe they all work out to be 22mm eyepieces, or therabouts.

Thanks Alan and John,

John, you are right! Just been and messed around and in my ignorance I removed the 1.25" barrel bits as I thought this was what you are supposed to do. Helped on by the fact that there is an extra cap that fits once you remove them!

I did notice last night that those removed bits looked different. A different diameter sized piece of glass in the end. Foolish me, that bit of glass is of course a lens!

Just fitted them all and the first thing I notice is the 5mm and 8mm did not have enough travel to focus!

So wound the adaptor out and locked it, then the mirror is on the edge of the bevel so it cannot fall out and they now focus. But guess I need an extension tube. Will check the flo web site as I am sure they are a standard item.

Thought it was odd when we went from the supplied 28mm, to the Baader 21mm, then 8mm and 5mm I could not see much difference! Doh!

Did not need a dew heater even though the temp dropped to -2 deg and dew on the outside but not on the lens. Time will tell if it is needed.

Oh and was very warm with my blaze wear back heater. Very snug and still too hot if pressed against my back when I got home as I did not remove it before setting off. Even though it is only a few miles down the road, I won't do that again!

Took a flask of coffee but need a better flask! Took a hip flask of whisky that was very nice in the cold!

Think I will get a pair of binos. Thinking I may go off to Maplins or/and camera shop in Swindon today.

Any recommendations?

Will do a search on forum now. Well after my egg sandwich anyway.

Best regards

Chris

Hi All,

Just back and it was great fun.

Took a few attempts to align the NEQ6 goto. Whilst trying to align, it was showing stars in a completely different location. Then said I was 45 degrees out after I finished!

Third time it sorted itself out. Still don't know why it was doing it, but will see what happens the next time.

Then had a bit of difficulty getting the baader hyperions to focus correctly when used in 1.25" mode. Alright on 2" mode.

Can anyone confirm that the additional piece gives more magnifaction when converted to 1.25"? We were not sure. Will have a play in the day time.

Looked at so many things I cannot begin to tell you what they were. So much to learn!!!

However, the rings of Saturn were awesome!

Overall it was really great fun and the guys so very helpful, without whom I would still be there trying to find whatever it was I was looking at!

If the sky is clear on Sunday as the weather forecast states then I will go in the back garden and have a go on my own.

Best regards

Chris

If your alignment was 45 degrees out then its almost certain you put the date in wrong.Its month first ,then day and year.

When i set mine up at the start of Jan i put in 4/1/2011 so the goto thought it was actually April and it took my a while to figure out why i was 45 degrees out,then the Homer Simpson moment dawned...doh.

That's you officially on the road to being an addict.Welcome to the club.

Hi Stewart,

Many thanks for the suggestion.

Yes that is what we thought but no it was not the date?

In fact it was 4/3/11 yesterday so we would not of been that far out even if we had 3/4/11. But alas not that.

Will see what happens if the weather stays good for Sunday as forecast as I will give it another go.

Best regards

Chris

Here's what happens when you take the negative achromat lens group off a baader hyperion:

"Each Hyperion eyepiece in the series is actually two eyepieces in one! Simply by unscrewing the forward 1.25-inch diameter portion of barrel that houses the negative achromat lens group, will provide a wide-field eyepiece of much longer focal length. Color correction remains excellent, and the field curvature that results is no greater than in a decent specimen of the 6-element Erfle design (and that’s what it is actually, when the negative achromat is removed)."

The full article is worth a good read and has a table of all possibilities here:

Baader Hyperion 17mm 1.25" / 2" Eyepiece | Telescope Accessories | Rother Valley Optics

Hope that helps :)

Archived