Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astroman's 10" F/7 Classic Newt refurb

Astroman

I've begun refurbing the "new" 10" newt. Turns out, it's a collector's item-a "Treckerscope" by Coast Instruments from circa 1957. Some links to pics follow:

http://www.stargazing.net/astroman/atm/10inf7r.jpg

http://www.stargazing.net/astroman/atm/10inf7s.jpg

These two are the scope and Rosie, then myself, just after it was installed in the dome in August. Rosie's 5'6" tall and I'm nearly 6', so you can see how huge this thing is.

http://www.stargazing.net/astroman/atm/10inf7-primed.jpg

This one's the scope as it looked this morning, 07/01/03 after stripping the paint, sanding ad nauseum and priming with 3 coats. I put one coat of good white gloss enamel on it this morening, but couldn't wait around for it to dry and take another shot. Will do tomorrow.

Watch this space. There's a bunch of mechanical stuff to do, too, namely restore or improve the tube rotation mechanism, restore the tracking motor and upgrade slow motion controls. This page will also contain the intended conversion to a split-ring mount and/or a Dob mount for road trips.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It certainly is; so many old telescopes are allowed to die a slow death in sheds and barns. Are the mirrors silvered instead of aluminised? Have you got the original eyepieces? I'm fascinated by these old instruments. I've got a few myself, but nothing remotely on the scale of your reflector.

Thanks for the good wishes, guys. I'm really excited about it, ever since I took it out in October and really ran it through its paces. The optics are just wonderful, and I can't wait to fix the mechanics. It should turn out to be a really fine instrument. :lol:

B n G: It looks to me as though the main mirror has been re-aluminized, as the original identity sticker is missing. It's getting a bit dicey around the edges, so I'm considering sending it in again, along with some smaller mirrors I have that are ready. I have two of the original EP's. One is a 26.6mm the other is a 16mm, and both are Ortho-Stars. The finder scope is original also. It's a 7x50mm with very nice focusing jobby built in. I'm debating stripping, sanding and painting it, too, but it could be trouble as there's no easy way to disassemble it.

I got it free from my brother-in-law last August and unfortunately it mostly sat in the dome. (Monsoons as much as anything.) When I had it in the dark in October, it simply blew me away. I had a 20" scope right next to me to compare images and the only difference I could see was brightness. Contrast, collimation, focus and detail were all comparable. His just out-apertured me. :)

I'm hoping to complete it by Jan. 20 so the wife and I can take it, (and her) camping at a dark site. Should be fun!

Lots of progress, however no new pictures to add. Basically, the tube is all painted and ready to go, and the more complex rotating ring assembly is complete. One more ring to go, some aluminum strips to be added to the tube and reassembly. Then, we start on the motor drive. I'll take some pics tomorrow, I hope, and post new entries on the web page. It's looking very good at this point!

Geppetto: Look closely at the edge of the main mirror. You should be able to see where the aluminum coating is worn where the clips were located, and a slight ring around the circumference. Aside from those minor defects, you're right, the mirrors are splendid!

Updated the photos and text on the refurb page. Clicking the above link should show you the new stuff.

No progress this week, unfortunately. Working from 9am to 9pm, driving 2.5hrs total, sleeping fitfully. Missed the comet, boo-hoo, boo-hoo, oh, woe is me.... :D

Finished off the OTA this weekend, amid frigid temps, (for AZ. This AM, it was 16ºF-6º colder than I've experienced in the 14 years I've been where I am now.) Pictures tomorrow, hopefully.

Upon assembly in the cradle with one bearing ring complete, it turns out the bearing offset is too small-meaning I can't close the ring properly and it puts too much pressure on the aluminum races, making it too hard to rotate. I'll have to redrill and tap some holes farther back this week. I'm hoping I can do that this week, since our plan was to have the scope complete for "testing" this weekend. (Today was taken up by frozen water pipes, so no scope progress. grumble, grumble)

Stay tuned.

Hi Ian.

No, I haven't been affected, I'm a bit far south for that. It's about 1,000 to 1,500 miles from the Midwest to my house, although we did get some record lows Sunday night and my pipes froze. It was -16ºC Monday morning, 6ºC colder than I've seen it in my 14 years here. Chilly.

Yes, the pipes were ok. Fortunately, they're all just about brand new PVC, since I redid the entire water system this fall. New holding tank, pumps, pipe, everything. So, the PVC was a bit more resilient than if it was old. Lucky works. I'd rather be lucky than good, any day. :D

Archived