Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astroman's 10" F/7 Classic Newt refurb

Astroman

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey! It rained on me all the way to work this morning, and that's a considerable time. Doesn't look much better for the rest of the weekend, either. Look at my clear sky clock in my signature. Looks more like Mr. Hog's!

Hey look at mine. Oh no... it's blown away!

Never realised that Arizona had actual cold! I thought that you were far enough south to keep warm year round with just coyotes and roadrunners to contend with. Shows how much I know.

Keep yourselves warm AM, we need you here.

Captain Chaos

Hey CC. I keep telling peopl it doesn't get cold in AZ. We'll have a couple days in the 0ºC range or just a bit colder, but it doesn't last more than that. This year, we shattered the old record and it stayed that way for a week. During the day, it warms up to 15ºC or so. Usually. Depending on your altitude. It regularly get well below 0 in Flagstaff and the high country above ~2100 m. Kitt Peak gets that cold in October at 2300 m.

I am, though there's never enough time to just finish it off! :? I got home quite late the other night, dragged it out, set one end on the ground and found Saturn, M46 and M42 before it got too heavy to move. The views were unsteady, even at the low power, but stunning nonetheless. Can't wait until it's done!

Completed the operational parts of the scope, just need to prime and paint the mechanics. Put it back on the mount for some testing and it works GREAT! Even though we had high clouds last night, I still observed the Moon at powers up to 1185X. Simply amazing!

I made a new declination indicator arrow so I can set coordinates that way and improved the markings on the RA circle for easier use, (they were all the same length, and I wasn't sure which of two sets to follow, so I marked them, too.) ALl I need now is to either replace the old motor, rewind the old motor, (got an estimate of ~$600 today), or come up with another solution, which I have in mind. Tracking by hand is still possible, so I see some visual observing coming up, as soon as the moon goes away.

Yahoo!

I still observed the Moon at powers up to 1185X

:shock: :rolleyes:

Yeah Caz, it was like that. :shock: It's supposed to get cloudy for a couple days, so I'll have to wait to see something deep sky, but it was amazing. The clouds will give me a cahnce to ponder on the alternate motor drive.

Archived