Hello all, new to the skies but there so beautiful

Marcus daniel

Hi all, im from worcestershire, and have been amazed by the skies for years and years. My first scope was when I was 7, a Tasco, cant remember what size or model, but that was 31 years ago! due to life and so on haven't really done much since, up until the beginning of this year where i now have a Celestron 114LCM. Didn't want to spend loads because my son is getting around the skies now and using it himself, under supervision of course. We are currently using a old webcam that we have adapted so to speak and attached it to the laptop and using some software recommended we are getting good images of the moon, but jupiter at the moment is just a blurry light bulb of an image on the screen. Have been offered the Neximager for a good price, but have also been told about the phillips range. Not sure which route to take so any advice would be great. Also advice about the telescope would be advantageous, do's and dont's if you get my drift, i think that if we could get some good images then that would wow my son, he still loves his bins !!!

Hope you all keep well and happy hunting!!:)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Marcus and welcome to SGL :)

Jupiter is past it's best for imaging at the moment. The Neximage and the Phillips SPC cameras have the same chip so essentially the same. It depends on what price you've been offered for the Neximage (around £130 brand new).

The most popular alternative at the moment is the SPC880 (flashed up to an SPC900) which can be found here:

Cheap Philips SPC880 webcam - 49269 - discounts & offers

Hope that helps

Hi, welcome to the forum. I collected a Philips SPC880-900 from a chap in Worcester who sells them (flashed) on e-bay. For £27.50 it was well worth the trip. For you it would be a short visit; let me know if you require some details and I can PM you the sellers details.

Archived