Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kelling Heath (Spring 2011) Chat Thread

brantuk

The converter plug/socket you bought for the EHU is fine - plug an "outdoor" 13A extension into it with a good long lead. Make sure it's a weather proof one though for safety. You can cover the join with a plastic bag and two rubber bands to keep it water proof.

Yeah - that dome caravan is allways an amusing feature and allways in the same pitch as well - just down the lane from us :hello2:

Thanks - it arrived today and I have an outdoor extension lead so I'll be all set. Such a tough decision on the C8vsC10 - certainly would be easier to get everything in my Astra if I took the C8 :hello2:

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grrrrrrr...

Will someone PLEASE stop me from looking at long range weather forecasts :-(

75% - 100% cloud cover and heavy rain from Mar 30th to Apr 3rd :-(

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Then again, they are rarely accurate until you get within 3 - 4 days.

Must maintain hope, MUST maintain hope!

Ben

Sand Dune- if you are going to do any visual it would have to be the big scope! Just think of all those Virgo cluster galaxies on show.

Rocketrandroll- go by the assumption that they don`t have a clue what the long range forcast is and that they are just making it up. So that means it`s going to be glorious blue skies and wonderful starry nights :hello2:

I'm really hoping to come along to this for an evening, unfortunately a weekend of work kills any ideas of an all nighter. I'm relatively new to viewing the skies but am hoping to splash some cash on some better equipment sometime soon with the ultimate view towards imaging.

As a complete newbie I'm hoping to pester enough people to find out what's hot and what's not and if I've not been too annoying hopefully see some amazing sights!! :hello2:

I'm just wondering, if the weather is blown out (which I'm really hoping it won't be) is it still worth the small journey, will much be going on?

Hi djb - If you come one afternoon/evening close to the main weekend then most people will have arrived by then (eg Thurs/Fri) and there will be 3 fields full of all sorts of scopes to marvel at.

Talk to a few of the campers - you'll find them quite friendly - and some will invite you back after dark for a peek through the scopes. Complementing their scope is allways a good ice breaker. Bring a red torch though cos it's hard finding them in the dark (be warned - white torches are the best way to instantly ruin a good astro friendship lol).

Shame about the weekend - that's when the talks mostly happen and the trade stands are there. If you make it - do drop by our pitch and say hi :hello2:

We'll be arriving on the Thursday and really looking forward to our first Kelling star party!

We are in a group of 4 pitches R392 to R395 which are somewhere near the loos, does anyone know if the lights switched off during the night as I've heard of complaints that the toilet lights are left on?

The toilet lights are not switched off, but they block out the windows over the main weekend. Bring some sun glasses for when you go to the loo as the light will blind you and then you can't see a thing when you come out into the dark again *** it takes about 15 minutes to adjust your eyesite again.

Carole

We just booked a pitch for our first star party :( we are on yellow pitch 113, I hope it's an ok pitch. It's our first star party so be gentle with us please :p We have a mountain of questions so if you spot some dodgy looking woman and 2 young uns (10 & 12) heading your way you might want to dive for cover or be battered with the spanish inquisition off my 10yo son :D

Just a quick question for those that have been before...

What's the normal 'plan B' for bad weather? I know someone mentioned a pub/bar on site... but with the assumption there will be a hundred+ people there (possibly much more) and looking at the weather forecast that it looks entirely likely that Thurs to Sun will be heavy rain, cloud and strong winds... will a lot of people head home? Or is there likely to be other stuff going on?

I'm just trying to make a final decision as I have £200+ of camping gear to buy if I'm actually attending and want to make a decision on whether to just pop down on the Saturday to see that stalls then head back if the weather is as bad as predicted?

I guess the whole social aspect of the event will be somewhat 'dampened' by heavy rain as no one will be 'sitting around with their equipment'? Would everyone go somewhere for a social, or would people generally just stay in their tents/caravans?

Don't want to put a downer on it, just trying to make an educated decision... as someone who organises outdoor events for other hobbies, I've seen what happens to large events when the heavens open!

Ben

Some go to the bar (there's two of 'em) or restaurants (three of them) or hang in vans and do some photo processing, or have get togethers in tents or go visiting the local towns (Holt, Cromer, Sherringham). There's steam railway trips nearby and all the usual sea side entertainments at the coast (5-6 miles away).

Plus I understand there's some talks as well as the trade stands and camp entertainments. So plenty to do really :D

Quote: Don't want to put a downer on it, just trying to make an educated decision... as someone who organises outdoor events for other hobbies, I've seen what happens to large events when the heavens open!Ben

Here's the latest from the MET

UK Outlook for Wednesday 30 Mar 2011 to Friday 8 Apr 2011:

The weather will turn more unsettled for the rest of the week, with some useful rain at times in most parts after the recent prolonged dry weather. Winds will increase during Wednesday, with rain arriving and spreading to most parts of the UK. From then on, and into the following week, it should stay changeable with further spells of wind, rain or showers, and drier interludes. Most of the rain is expected towards the northwest of the UK, with southeastern areas probably getting the best of the dry weather, and becoming warm here at times in brighter spells. Temperatures should be on the whole above average, especially in the south as mentioned, but occasionally below average in the far northwest. Any overnight frost is likely to be very patchy.

Updated: 1219 on Fri 25 Mar 2011

Great - thanks MET

Sounds to me it might rain but then again maybe some times it won't- but maybe it will....har har har:)

Just bite the bullet and come along in the off chance things turn out ok dood :D that's what I'm going to do otherwise I'd never attempt it.

The weather forecasts are not aalways reliable as you know, last year at the Salisbury Star Party it was heavy rain one day from about 10am until 6pm then the clouds parted and some of the clearest darkest skies appeared and a great night was had by all.

So the moral is never give up !!

This will be my 1st trip to Kelling and I cant wait for wed.....

If it gets a bit to damp for you , you are more than welcome to have a cuppa in my caravan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

Don't forget we're on the east coast just below the Wash. The weather can be changeable but it soon blows over and dries out. Plus most of our activity will be during the night so long as the clouds keep off.

I wouldn't worry about it - but the longer you're there the more chance of gatting a good night :D

Well - I'm just having a short tea break from loading the caravan and car. We'll be on our way in about 2hrs so thought I'd just pop by and say have a safe journey to everyone and I'll see you there as you turn up over the coming week.

I'll drop in here periodically over the week just to answer any last minute questions and report on the weather/sky over there etc. So do carry on using the thread.

Looking forward to seeing you all there.

Cheers

Kim :D

Thanks Brantuk :( I take it from the PM that my pitch is pretty....c**p? I know though I will lose Lewis, he wants to wander round to see the big dobs :p I have a slight feeling....somehow...that my purse will be severely battered when we come back from Cyprus..... :D

Archived