SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Kelling Heath (Spring 2011) Chat Thread

brantuk

Hi all...

I have a teensy request / question...

I've got myself a 20ah power pack (biggest I could find!) to run my mount, dew strip etc and pump up the old air bed :-)

I am hoping it'll easily last one night ( I'm not running a laptop or any other equipment off it) but I guess it may well not last two without a top-up?

My pitch doesn't have a power hook-up so I was wondering... Is there any 'communal' power points on site? Or, failing that, might any attendees who do have a hook-up be open to bribery with beer/food to possibly loan out a socket for a day for the trickle charger?

I'm hoping I don't need to buy a second power pack!

Cheers all

Ben

PS: only 20 days for me now!

PSS: 100th post on this thread!!

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup - there's usually either a two way or four way post shared between pitches where you can hook up to a 16amp supply. You'll need the standard connector for a caravan - or an adaptor to convert to a standard mains plug socket for tents :(

Yup - there's usually either a two way or four way post shared between pitches where you can hook up to a 16amp supply. You'll need the standard connector for a caravan - or an adaptor to convert to a standard mains plug socket for tents :)

Hi Brantuk

I hope to attend this year for 5 days - I haven't had a pitch with power before - could you post a link to the sort of adapter I need to plug in a normal power socket - I'll be on one of the tent pitches.

Thanks

David

Hi David - good to see you :)

They come in all sizes and prices - you need to google for "Electric Hook Up Tents". It will be something like this:

15 Mtr 16 Amp Camping/Caravan Electrical Hook Up Lead on eBid United Kingdom

http://www.towsure.com/product/Caravan_Plug_to_13_Amp_Socket_Mains_Adapter

http://www.towsure.com/product/Camping_Site_Mains_Supply_Unit_3_Outlet

All pitches are the same btw - big enough to pitch either a tent or a caravan :(

[quote=brantuk:They come in all sizes and prices - you need to google for "Electric Hook Up Tents". It will be something like this:................

Thanks very much - that was a close call - I would've been powerless - literally :D

Really looking forward to the dark skies and camping - it's nice to get out of the observatory once in a while :)

David

Hi Brantuk

This will be my fourth star party at Kelling, and I am still like a big kid (are we nearly there yet ??????) YES !!!!!!

This year I want to do some solar observing, so I am hoping someone will have a Lunt LS60 scope I can have a look through.

As you can guess I am looking forward being there and meeting the members I have read about. See you soon.

Nigel

David - I've updated it with a couple more for you from Towsure who I use a lot :)

Nigel - Yeah I'm getting "big kid (ish)" too lol - I think it's our 5th or 6th - and yes we are very close now - only ten days for me - starting to sort out the caravan this weekend - getting it clean and beginning to load it up with stuff.

Take a wander up to our site - there's a chap who pitches on the same row every year with a solar scope that I can introduce you to :(

Ok... quick further question... is the power usage charged for seperate to the pitch, or it it included?

Just wondering what equipment to bring and whether I'll end up racking up a massive electric bill if I bring too much :-)

Cheers all

Ben

PS: Trying not to get excited until we get within a few days and I know the weather forecast... with just three nights there the odds of me getting a night that is useable is less I suppose, and I've had 20 years of hobbies that need good weather and dissapointment when events get ruined by poor British weather. Fingers crossed though!

Thanks for that Nigel - getting so excited I forgot to keep myself updated lol.

FOR EVERYONE - the information tent will be on Pitch 345 - expect a gazebo with a site map (under plastic sheet) on which you can put your name against your pitch to help us all find each other :)

As a noobie I regret I arrived on the scene too late for this party, a small matter of work getting in the way!:)

With only a week to go for some of you I'm not really very jealous:p but I do wish you all a great time with clear skies:D

Enjoy:)

Thanks Max - you can allways go for a recce on the main weekend (unless you do weekend work that is). That's what we did on our first trip - ended up staying till 3am looking through scopes, and slept in the car for a few hours before heading home following morning lol :)

HI Brantuk, yes I have seen the Kelling website with all the mugshots etc.

I think the list of traders might be incomplete, as Ian Knight from Altair Astro said they would be there, and I thought Bern from Modern Astronomy said he would also be there.

Hope it warms up a bit in the next two weeks, it was freezing imaging last night.

Carole

HI Brantuk, yes I have seen the Kelling website with all the mugshots etc.

I think the list of traders might be incomplete, as Ian Knight from Altair Astro said they would be there, and I thought Bern from Modern Astronomy said he would also be there.

Hope it warms up a bit in the next two weeks, it was freezing imaging last night.

Carole

Hi Carole

Just visited your website - really well done and very interesting - and opera too! :-) fantastic

I was outside in front of the chimnea with the family tonight saying how I hoped it would be as mild in Norfolk for the star party - they all gave me quite sympathetic looks and changed the subject! :)

David

Hi Carole,

I've got to commend you for your website, fascinating! Especially the installation of your POD. I certainly appreciate your efforts in explaining all the trials and tribulations you've encountered to get where you are at now with your astronomy, especially the imaging. Essentially you have achieved what I hope to over the next few years.

Your patient and in depth explanations of everything together with photos is just what a noobie like me needs!

Very many thanks:)

Yes Bern is nearly allways there Carole - every time since we started going at least, and Altair Astro too :hello2:

It might get a bit windy David but at least it's usually a warm wind during spring - it's allways been sunny by day for us :hello2:

It might get a bit windy David but at least it's usually a warm wind during spring - it's allways been sunny by day for us :hello2:

This is an interesting point Brantuk - I do most of my observing from the observatory here in Grove and only occasionally get out into the field. So, I thought I'd use the star party as a chance to focus on observing DSO's that I can never see from the obby.

To do this I was going to bring my C10-N - if it's windy this might not be a good idea as it acts like a sail in even modest wind. I have a C8-N which is much more stable on the CG-5. I can't decide which is better.....there's only one way to find out......que the Harry Hill scene :hello2:

I'm leaning towards the C10 simply for its light gathering ability. However, more importantly I have to "tune" the iPad-GoSkyWatch to Kellilng Heath so that I can map out a list of objects to view in advance - has anyone produced such a list for the event? I thought it would save fumbling around on the night if I had a schedule.

One final question - thanks very much for the link to the caravan leads - unfortunately I think I've been a bit dim and bought a very short one (Maypole Caravan 230V UK Trailing Socket: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Leisure)

- is it possible to simply plug and extension lead into this or should I just break down and buy the 10m version? I'm now thinking an extension lead connection wouldn't be a good idea on dew covered grass.

The preparation for this trip is turning out to be quite fun - but I think I'll need a bigger car.

Just checked out your album of Kelling Heath in autumn last year - some fantastic set ups there! Especially the caravan with a dome.

David

During the Autumn event there's usually a welcome booklet with a list of objects. But at Spring I don't think they produce one. I'm using Astronomy Now for the Messier Marathon, and one or two suggestions in the early pages of this thread.

The wind is usually in the day and dies down overnight mostly. But don't take that as gospel cos I ain't a meteorologist lol The C-10 sounds great but you may be better prepared with the C-8.

The converter plug/socket you bought for the EHU is fine - plug an "outdoor" 13A extension into it with a good long lead. Make sure it's a weather proof one though for safety. You can cover the join with a plastic bag and two rubber bands to keep it water proof.

Yeah - that dome caravan is allways an amusing feature and allways in the same pitch as well - just down the lane from us :hello2:

Archived