SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Kelling Heath (Spring 2011) Chat Thread

brantuk

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Celeste, my 9 year old boy will be with me so your little one will likely bump into my little one at some point!

Lol no doubt :D

How many kids are going? I have 2 of mine, Lewis 10 and Chloe 12 (going on 18 with her attitude lol) my youngest is only 6 and he has adhd so he is staying with nanna. Although Lewis is autistic, his love of scopes will bring him out of his shell :p

Wow, the party starts here. We arrived about 10 minutes before Brantuk. His caravan is set up, awning erected and our little tent installed inside (don't ask, you need to see it to appreciate it!). The 4 of us just had a welcome meal down the bar and now watching TV with a box of wine.

Unfortunately the cloud is thick but at least we got set up in the dry.

Sheringham on the steam train tomorrow.

For anyone using Twitter during the event, Mark Thompson (Norwich AS) suggested a Twitter hashtag of #khstarparty. Used it a few times myself this week. Don't forget also to use #SGL as well ;-) Apologies to non-tweeting members as this will probably make no sense all to you. Glad to explain if dropping by our pitch (number to be posted tomorrow when I dig the email out). See you there.

Wow, the party starts here. We arrived about 10 minutes before Brantuk. His caravan is set up, awning erected and our little tent installed inside (don't ask, you need to see it to appreciate it!). The 4 of us just had a welcome meal down the bar and now watching TV with a box of wine.

Unfortunately the cloud is thick but at least we got set up in the dry.

Sheringham on the steam train tomorrow.

Looks like tonight is gonna be a good night over in Kelling, metcheck gives a totally clear night :D Enjoy

Carole and I will be set up on pitch T316 in the Red (Squirrel) field. Feel free to drop by and say Hi. We will be on site 1-5 April, looks like Celeste has ordered the weather ;-)

Andrew Dumbleton

OAS Magazine Editor/OAS member/SGL member

This will be popular; for those who have not seen the official star party web site recently:

"

Lecture - Dr Emily Baldwin *Sunday at 2pm in pub*

News flash! The latest news from around the Universe

Astronomy Now's Deputy Editor & Website Editor, Dr Emily Baldwin, presents a roundup of the latest news from around the Universe, including news from missions around the Sun and planets in our own Solar System to the host of newly discovered exoplanets in other solar systems, from asteroids to comets and from galaxies to black holes!"

Andrew Dumbleton

OAS Magazine Editor/OAS member/SGL member

Hi everyone

Finally managed to read through 7 pages of posts. This is going to be my first star party, I'm really looking forward to it. I will be at Red T331 replacing Lurker, who isn't able to come. Lurker, Thanks again for the pitch. I will post a mug shot in the other thread later.

Going to be there between 1-3 April.

Finger crossed for clear skies

Keith

It was bound to happen, i set off for kelling on wednesday and the alternator has gone on my car!!! lets hope i can get it fixed in time... :D had the power tanks out charging it, lets hope it gets me to the garage :)

they recon it should be fixed Tuesday, the part can be brought in on a next day service, but as its a astra diesel the part is expensive as the pump is attached to the alternator... i dont care about the expense providing its working and ready on time lol

I`ve just watched the 5 day weather forecast on the BBC`s Countryfile programme. They reckon the rain will hit most of England by Wednesday, but by Friday the wet weather will get pushed up north by warm air from the south. Fingers crossed then.

Yeah, the forecasts at the moment are all a bit vague :-) they are all talking about a NW/SE divide for the weather at the end of the week... Just not sure where the dividing line will be.

I'm getting my camping gear now and hoping for the best. So long as it's not hammering it down all of Friday and Saturday we'll be ok :-)

Any reports on what the weather on site has been like yet? I know in Suffolk last night it was about 90% cloud cover but mild. I could see one star through a gap in the clouds :-)

Ben

A beautiful sunny day down here at Kelling Heath. Been for a drive to Cromer and a walk up the beach and along the Pier.

Last night the skies started to clear at about 23:30. At 04:00 it was crystal.

Forecast is for the same again tonight.

Maybe half a dozen other astonomers have turned up now, that's probably half the people on the touring pitches.

Andrew from Loughton AstroSoc has turned up with a 24" Dob, you need an 8 rung step ladder to get to the eyepiece. Awsome bit of kit.

Brantuk and Andromeda1 have been looking at the sun through £20k worth of TV solar scope. Awesome.

...man, wish I was there at the mo! :-(

Ah well, we had some nice clear skies last night too, so I was at least able to do some half-hearted imaging at my local astro group's observing session.

Really keeping it all crossed for Thurs/Fri night!!!

Ben

Andrew from Loughton AstroSoc has turned up with a 24" Dob, you need an 8 rung step ladder to get to the eyepiece. Awsome bit of kit.

Brantuk and Andromeda1 have been looking at the sun through £20k worth of TV solar scope. Awesome.

24" ??? :) wow....just...wow, I know where to find my Lewis then when he's gone :D

I might see if I can have a peek at the sun, something different :)

Glad to hear you having a good time, how cold is it getting at night?

Edit: Red lights, I assume I need one for the tent, but trying to find a decent red bulb is hard lol. I have found fireglow ones, are they ok? I have red led torches for outside....

Oh BTW....it's tipping it down here :)

Archived