Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just ordered a Philips SPC900NC webcam

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think I may have a problem with my cam. Bought it flashed from Morgans. When I plugged it into the computer to update the drivers (before removing the lens), iit was working fine, could see myself fine. When I took the lens off, put on the adapter and filter, I can no longer see myself and everything looks out of focus. Is something wrong? Should it be like this?

Nothing is wrong, you have removed the Lense, you will be able to focus when it is connected to your scope!!!

Think I may have a problem with my cam. Bought it flashed from Morgans. When I plugged it into the computer to update the drivers (before removing the lens), iit was working fine, could see myself fine. When I took the lens off, put on the adapter and filter, I can no longer see myself and everything looks out of focus. Is something wrong? Should it be like this?

Just to update incase anyone is interested, for future reference. after 12hours i have now successfully flashed my cam. If you havnt got winXP, and the modded spc880 driver doesnt work for you, i found a thread here somewhere (cant seem to find it now) which suggested emulating winXP. And this worked. :)

I downloaded and installed XP MODE from...

Download Windows XP Mode

Then downloaded and installed a free program called VMWARE PLAYER....

VMware Player 3.0

Instructions for VMMWARE are here...

Run XP Mode on Windows 7 Machines Without Hardware Virtualization - How-To Geek

Then you have XP!! Then you can follow the original instructions to flash webcam.

Credit goes to the original poster, whom i cant find now.

Thanks all for your help!!!!!

Just to add a little to this thread I got the (flashed) SPC900 webcam working on both Linux and Mac last night. My main "photography" laptop is a Mac, however I do all my processing in Windows. Unfortunately, as I run Linux through VirtualBox the camera isn't the best in terms of FPS, so I think i'll have to run it natively on Mac. Now to figure out how to capture in .avi format instead of .mov.

Neilius, if you search for SPC880 in SGL you'll find several resources explaining the flashing process.

You need an XP machine, and the files off the Mogan site - links on the product details page.

In reality you need four things

1. SPC880.inf file - use this when you connect the webcam to install it

2. Some sort of acquisition application, craterlet is the asiest one to connect with just google it and download

3. A progam called wrcmac, just look through the links for SPC880 or google it

4. spc900nc.bin file

Basically install webcam as in 1. (maybe reboot), start up craterlet, thenstatup wrcmac and connect to the webcam, backup binaries using wrcmac then find folder where wrcmac backed up to and copy in the spc800nc.bin file. Relaunch wrcmac, select binaries, choose the spc900nc from the list and upload to webcam.

Job done, now you can connect to Windows 7 machine or stick with XP

I think most SGL people recommend Sharpcap for actual image capturing... Then follow your nose regarding processing with stacking software.

Hope this helps.

Another Mac user here.

Got the cam from Morgans, flashed it with an old XP PC I use for controlling bird box cameras (another story). Just took a few minutes.

The webcam works fine on my Mac workbook Pro capturing images with the webcam option in Equinox Pro.

In daylight I can swap out the eyepiece for the webcam and refocus without too much problem although the amount of refocussing on my Mak127 is quite large.

At night is another ball game. I've only tried once during a short clear sky window but found refocussing very difficult.

I think I will go back to daylight testing and make a note of the exact number of focussing rotations before trying again at night.

Finally had chance to use my webcam tonight, after various trials and tribulations and nearly giving up, i eventually managed to get the moon displayed on the laptop screen using wxastrocapture and captured a few minutes.

Didn't get the best focus or stability, not surprising considering the scope i'm using and i was manually tracking but at least i now know that the camera works and i've got an avi to play with.

Onwards and upwards.

@Shaun0957

I have also ordered an SPC900 (from eBay, not Morgans). I was wondering, the UV/IR filter that is used with webcam photography, is it like normal filters that screw into the eyepiece, or is it more permanent (ie. Between the camera sensor and the eyepiece adaptor)?

It goes on the end of the special nosepeice you need. There's another thread in SGL (can't find it now) that goes through it & some instructions of how to flash an 880 to a 900 and fit the nosepeice & also how to mod for long exposure.

• 1 month later...

I'm about to buy a 200p and I was planning to order the pre-flashed 880 from Morgans.

However, I use a Mac and don't have (easy) access to any Windows machines.

Can I use the preflashed webcam on my Mac?

If so, what software do I have to use?

Cheers

Archived