Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just ordered a Philips SPC900NC webcam

@Shaun0957

I have also ordered an SPC900 (from eBay, not Morgans). I was wondering, the UV/IR filter that is used with webcam photography, is it like normal filters that screw into the eyepiece, or is it more permanent (ie. Between the camera sensor and the eyepiece adaptor)?

Normal 1.25" eyepiece filter.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to possibly put a dampener on your expectations.. I'm another STILL waiting for Morgans to deliver. They charged my CCard over 2 weeks ago! They replied to a mail last week to say part of the order was out of stock (actually 2% of my order.. Huh! I went for the full works) and it should ship in 3 business days..

OK fair enough, they now had a 28th Jan delivery date on the website but there are quite a few on here that say they ordered theirs days if not more than a week after my order and they've had theirs.

Not impressed I'm afraid... they're lucky the weathers been so bad and I've had other distractions. As far as I'm concerned 2 warning signs of bad business/customer service are:

1/ Lack of communication

2/ charging my CCard the full amount before they have goods to sell.. let alone ship!

They don't get any repeat business or recommendation from me.;):p

/Rant

I have the spc900 myself which I got just before amazon ran out of stock but I had a look into the cheap morgans ones recently to add autoguiding.

Kentronix

Does the SPC990 require a mod for autoguiding (apart from the adapter of course)?

Barry

@Shaun0957

I have also ordered an SPC900 (from eBay, not Morgans). I was wondering, the UV/IR filter that is used with webcam photography, is it like normal filters that screw into the eyepiece, or is it more permanent (ie. Between the camera sensor and the eyepiece adaptor)?

Hi Rob,

Mine from morgans, fits to the adapter, as you take the lens off it is a good idea, keeps dust off sensor.

Morgans Flash them before posting Buy Cheap online from Morgan Computers

And i must say, it was all delieverd within a few days, but this was before they ran out of stock

Ahhhhh, I get it now... There's no lens/glass in the eyepiece adaptor to protect the sensor on the webcam from dust and junk? Is that right?

As far as I can tell from the instructions I've read on a couple of different webpages, that is correct.

Ahhhhh, I get it now... There's no lens/glass in the eyepiece adaptor to protect the sensor on the webcam from dust and junk? Is that right?

Thats right, thats one of the reasons why you need also need the IR/UV Blocking filter which also protects the CCD in the webcam from IR

So my spc880 arrived today, really exited to get going but failed on first hurdle, i havnt got win xp to flash the cam. Is this really necessary? Does anyone know what the benefit of turning the spc880 to a 900 is?

Many thanks,

Doorhand.

So my spc880 arrived today, really exited to get going but failed on first hurdle, i havnt got win xp to flash the cam. Is this really necessary? Does anyone know what the benefit of turning the spc880 to a 900 is?

Many thanks,

Doorhand.

I think it is essential to have Xp for part of the procedure, Morgans dont supply flashed unless you pay the extra for the flash, which is worth it i feel.

have you searched here for relevant links & tutorials! it may help

good luck

shaun

i thought they were ready flashed ?

You can pay a little extra for it to be flashed, and me being a cheapskate i thought id do it myself, never thought win xp would be an important ingrediant in all this.

Maybe someone here will know of any alternative upto date flashing software that will do the job.

Thanks Shaun0957. Iv had a look around on the forum for a few hours and there doesnt seem to be any alternative other than to install winXP.

Iv got win7, and WcRmac seems to install fine, so im going to give this flash a go.... i let you know how i get on!

You don't need winxp to flash the cam. A member on here has created a driver for the spc880 that allows win 7 to see it as a SPC900. I've done it and it takes 10secs. The camera is totally functional in all software on Win 7 and you can adjust exposure, gain, frame rate etc. This does not mean it works in LX mode though. You need to do the hardware mod for this.

You don't need winxp to flash the cam. A member on here has created a driver for the spc880 that allows win 7 to see it as a SPC900. I've done it and it takes 10secs. The camera is totally functional in all software on Win 7 and you can adjust exposure, gain, frame rate etc. This does not mean it works in LX mode though. You need to do the hardware mod for this.

I now realise the whole reason it 'needs' to be flashed is because there are no vista / win7 drivers for the spc880 cam. flashing makes it a spc900 which has these drivers.

I actually found an older thread mentioning about the modded spc880 driver, and that kind member has sent me it. Only thing is that i still cant suss it out!!

Can i ask what you did to get the modded driver working?

Thanks,

Doorhand

Just install the downloaded spc900 drivers onto win7 (they will not recognise the camera) then copy the filr Camvid40.txt into the directory where the drivers installed and rename it Camvid40.inf. Job done. Your software and win7 will now see the camera and recognise it as a 900.

Thanks for the instructions, but my cam is still not working, do you know if i need to replace this one aswell...

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\camvid40.inf_x86_neutral_a2b5f205314e5802\camvid40.inf

(sorry to ask, if i do, i need to figure out win7 permissions.... nightmare so far!)

iv allready replaced the one in c:\program files\phillips

No you don't need to replace anything else. Just replace the driver camvid40.inf in C:\Program Files (x86)\Philips\Philips SPC900NC PC Camera\ with the file camvid40.txt (renamed to camvid40.inf) and make sure it overwrites the old file. You should then be able to go into "device manager" and see that the driver is working. If you have install the SPC900nc drivers correctly you should see a small camera icon in your Win7 tray. Make sure you you have the camera plugged into a USB1.1 port and not a USB 2.0 port.

I have no usb 1.1 ports, i have 3x usb 2.0 ports. is this the problem?!!

Iv done everything you have said, and can confirm i have a camera icon in my win7 tray. Device manager knows theres a problem with the device, exclamation mark flags up on unknown device.

Archived