Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Are Newbies Welcome?

Annevh

I was just wondering if newbies are welcome at Star Parties. I know we benefit from your patience on this forum, but it's probably a bit different if you're trying to observe in 'real life' and you've got newbies pestering you for information.

I'm only down the road from Kelling so it would be a shame not to make the most of there being a star party there, but that the same time, I don't know anything about astronomy yet, having barely learned my way around my own, brand new scope!

I cant speak for others but I am always happy to chat with newbs at star parties and let them take a look through whatever gear I have with me.

Obviously you need to exercise some sense and dont wander around, tripping over cables, puffing ciggy smoke into peoples optics and pester people who are clearly otherwise engaged. Imagers tend to need peace and quiet a bit more than observers, I tend to not wander around imagers at parties cos I understand they may be struggling with all their wizardry :)

But as lots of beginners know I am pretty well disposed at Star Parties to help out where I can.

Nah, kick 'em out!

Oh, hang on, i'm still a relative newbie too, so let 'em (and me) in!

I should imagine that the vast majority of peeps on here will be more than happy to chit chat to newbies at Star Parties, I think it's something to do with the enthusiasm that they bring - it's quite infectious..:(

I should imagine they (and me!) will be forming a que to have an astro consultation with you Mel..:)

Doc

Hell yeah!!

It's one of the few times you have a chance to see some scopes/mounts in the flesh.

So get along to a star party, even if it's just for an afternoon. It brings all those scopes you see in mags and online come to life. You might even be lucky enough to get to see through a solar scope. That's truly mindblowing.

I remember one Kielder camp when a family passed and the Dad was coming over to say hello and presumably ask about my Klev. The tiny boy blurted out, noooo, I want see THAT one.....a huge frac set up nearby. Cue one father being dragged across the grass sideways. Funny moment.

Andy.

Not just welcome, positively encouraged!

The thing to bear is mind is the etiquette required so that everyone can have an enjoyable time. Enthusiastic newcomers have more than once shone their headlamps in our eyes, ruined a photograph, or caused half of the star party to lose their dark adapted sight :p

There is an etiquette guide for Kelling available online, with good pointers.

I would recommend trying to make an acquaintance first, by visiting in daylight hours, and then asking the individual if you could come back in the evening. This way you will be familiar with the site, and better prepared for it being totally dark when you arrive (with your lights off!;) )

As a general rule, there will be several campers with large dobsonian telescopes who are more than happy to share the views they have.

HTH

Tim

Anne

If you are local to Kelling its well worth getting down there. The Spring event is run by the Norwich Astronomical Society. Come and find us on the Red field, plenty of scopes to look through and you will be most welcome.

Details here: Spring Star Party

Also you would also be welcome to visit the clubs permanent site at Seething any Friday evening:

Norwich Astronomical Society

Hope this is useful

Adrian

All good advice above, it would be criminal to miss Kelling if you're only down the road. Have a look through lots of different scopes and get opinions so you know what to buy when you take the plunge.

The advice on etiquette mentioned above is to read the Kelling rules on lighting etc and obviously be careful of people's equipment. Torches should be covered with red film and pointed down to the ground etc. No car lights after dark.

Generally I have found most Astronomers are only too happy to share their knowledge and views of the night sky.

imagers at parties cos I understand they may be struggling with all their wizardry

I am one such imager and we of course have cameras stuck in the back of the scopes and not eyepieces*, and there are some critical moments when we need to concentrate, but that aside you would be welcome to come and chat to me on pitch T324 in the Red area.

You can always look at the Laptop screen instead*

Carole

Actually beagle you'd find me disappointing in the flesh ;)

My sky knowledge is terrible, just about anyone knows more about the sky. I can really onky claim any know how with hardware and I am not always reliable on that. Most of my guides are rewrites, I just take stuff and tr and make it comprehensible.....used to be a technival bod at one time and larely my rep then was as an expert. In truth I was just good at explainin things.

A little tip (maybe not for complete newbies) is to carry something out of the ordinary with you, when I was at Kelling last year, the largest dob on the field was as interested to see what the view was through my 13mm Ethos, as I was interested to see what the view was through his 24+ inch dob... failing that its always good to carry some cookies...

Thanks for the encouragement ;)

It feels a bit nervewraching coming to something so completely new. Hubby's well up for paying a visit though, and Mum has offered to have our daughter for the night, so we might come and have a look around, even if we don't camp this time.

I take it we can just drop in - no need to book or anything if we're not staying?

During the event it's free for day visitors. Our first trip there (from Leicester) was just a recce on the main weekend. We ended up staying till 3am and slept in the car in the carpark lol

I'd recommend the main weekend cos all the traders will be there as well as 3 fields full of scopes - you might even be able to squeeze into one of the talks if you're lucky ;)

Edit - you only need to book if camping.

I was busily setting up my scope at a starparty, stood up & turned around....nearly fell over in surprise - there was an orderly British queue of 8 people all hoping for a look (was aligned on Saturn)!

Well! Several go's later each, including one lady who started crying, saying that seeing Saturn's rings was the most mind-blowingly beautiful thing she had ever seen., and one bloke who wanted to buy my scope there and then!

Say no more, it was a joy to share.

But the comments on etiquette as so true.......one driver swung into the area on high-beams. Good grief!;):mad::p:mad::D

Mike

PS.....and I will be going to Kelling after some excellent advice received off this forum (had not even considered it before). I'll be going as a NEWBIE, looking for a few peeks through Dobs.

I thought about the same thing....I don't want to overly disturb people, so plan to go a bit early....understand the layout (ie find the Red field) and see the equipment....then maybe go back after dark for a peek to the kind people I had made contact with.

Cheers

Mike

Red field is easy - if you wonder down the path between the trade stands just keep going till you get to the end - on the right there's a gap in the hedge - bingo! - you're in the red field. We'll be a couple of pitches down on the right hand side of the first row of campers ;)

The three fields at Kelling are code named by the campsite: "Red Squirrel", "Blue Butterfly", and "Yellow Dragonfly". It's a protected natural reserve with lots of interesting wildlife, flaura and fauna, heathland walks, etc. But when the astronomers are there it just gets called red field, yellow field, and blue field lol ;)

Here's a link to the layout - trade stands are at the top end of the yellow field:

http://www.kellingheath.co.uk/pdf/touring-caravans.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the encouragement :glasses1:

It feels a bit nervewraching coming to something so completely new. Hubby's well up for paying a visit though, and Mum has offered to have our daughter for the night, so we might come and have a look around, even if we don't camp this time.

I take it we can just drop in - no need to book or anything if we're not staying?

Hi Anne,

If it helps - my wife and I attended our first star party back last July. I had purchased a simple telescope beforehand (not >for< the star party but I knew about SGL etc already back then and wanted to try one out). I knew nothing about the sky but didn't go with an intention to learn, just to see what it was all about and to enjoy some time off. This was particularly pertinent since we, like you, have a young child who was happy to stay with his grandparents for a couple of nights while we had our first 'time away' from him. That, if anything, was the most nerve wracking bit!

My wife likes camping and I like astronomy (she likes astronomy too, but she gets cold easily and thus she doesn't stay out long even though she's got better eyesight than I have and tends to notice things better than I do at the eyepiece).

Anyhow, it's almost identical to normal camping except everyone is there to look at the stars, so;

1) You'll find people have something in common thus are much more friendly.

2) People will walk around and talk to you.

3) Generally people stay up late and sleep in late® than on a typical camp site.

4) Any equipment you bring is more likely to be safe at a star party as there's probably not going to be any footballs or doggies running around near scopes, etc.

5) There are some additional etiquette rules to follow mostly regarding light (I see you've already been briefed on this). At both star parties there were incidents with some people and bright lights, at Salisbury Star Party there were a group of teenagers and their parents who were staying in a nearby field. They walked straight through our field with a couple of million-candlepower white lamps, shining them at everyone and they came up to our tent and started asking questions ("What is your group doin'?") and such like. It wasn't a problem for me, but those who had taken time to get their imaging equipment up may have had a lot of work spoilt which could be frustrating. I was able to explain to them that the earth was in fact not flat and that we go around the sun once a year. What amazed them was when I told them that the sun was much, much bigger than the moon (it just looks small as it's much, much further away). I felt like Brian Cox for a few minutes :) Kelling Heath had a few issues with vehicles driving onto and off the fields with headlights on, which generally is a reason why some star parties probably cannot accommodate 'evening trippers' (as you may not be able to drive away safely without bathing the area in white light).

We enjoyed it and went to the next star party at Kelling Heath in September. That was even more enjoyable (mostly because of the people I met there).

Both star parties were mostly clouded out but we had at least one lovely clear night at both.

If I had any tips I'd say, come along with an open mind - bring a pair of binoculars if you have them - bring red light torches (as it might be darker than you expect!) - and enjoy yourself! It helps to pack extra teabags, coffee, soup, snacks or beer. I think our tent was the unofficial late night soup and beer tent on the cloudy night that we were there!

I hope this helps :p

PS.....and I will be going to Kelling after some excellent advice received off this forum

Kelling Heath is an excellent star party, especially. The camp site is beautiful with large well demarked pitches, clean and hot shower blocks and washing areas, access to electricity and water, and that's just the start. It's got a swimming pool, pub, several restaurants selling a decent array of food, a takeaway restaurant, and an on site mini supermarket.

During the day there's a lot to do, including various walks, parks, bike hire and so on.

Archived