SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Heads up Maplin case offer!!

magic77

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone is looking for foam to fill a case, especially the 'pick foam' I'd suggest having a look at the replacement foam sets that Jessops sell for their cases. I picked up 2 sets for their CC70 case (discontinued I think) at 95 pence each. The size is 490mm by 360mm by 75mm and comprises 3 pieces of foam, some wavy foam for the lid; a layer of foam for the base and the middle sandwich of the pick foam so you can make holes for your gear.

The set for the smaller case (CC50) is 445mm, 320mm, 72mm but costs £1.95 each

Bargain :)

The rugged ones just look rugged and made in plastic instead of alluminium. Whatever the differences I've seen both types reduced to £15-£20 from time to time. And both are suitable for astro kit - just gotta catch the right price at the right time :)

The rugged ones just look rugged and made in plastic instead of alluminium. Whatever the differences I've seen both types reduced to £15-£20 from time to time. And both are suitable for astro kit - just gotta catch the right price at the right time :)

I bought the Maplins rugged plastic which seems to be a clone of the more well known makes (Storm, Peilcan etc) but cheaper, save a couple of quid using the vouchers you get for subscribing to their newsletter. Also, got the £15 for eyepieces and other bits so I have a lot of foam plucking to do this weekend.

When these went back up to £35 I got the tool one (empty with tool holders) off eBay for £8 (normally £19.99) brand new and filled it with the foam from a foam shop. Must of came to £12 all in.

Good cases for the money :)

Like all cases like these...they're wood not aluminium. They just have a thin, pimpled alu foil over the wood. I guess they'd be far more if they were.

Still, perfect for the job and I have a ton of these types :)

Posted this message earlier wihout seeing this thread - great buy.

Just thought I'd come on and mention that Maplin are selling aluminium flight cases for £20 down from £35 in a choice of foam or divider types. Large enough for tools and equipment. Not big enough though for the Celestron tray/brace for the heavy duty tripod. For this I have drilled a hole into the case and bolted an M10 stud which holds the tray on the outside of the case. If anyone is interested I will post photos.

Here's one of mine.

The one that keeps astronetty nice and tidy.

The controller usb, mouse usb, output usb and hub power connector are all hidden and plugged into the ports on the other side of the hub.

It's all nice and neat and very comfortable to use :)

post-21451-133877530116_thumb.jpg

post-21451-13387753012_thumb.jpg

Well as promised here is a picture of mine. Admitted it is very... empty. I even had to put the compass in there to make it look more full! Was thinking of a flask too, but maybe thats a bit OTT? ;)

img0041c.jpg

Astroimpulse, is that an Xbox 360 controller in the case on the top that I see? Can I enquire as to what that is for? I am gonna take a wild guess and say you don't lug your HDTV and Xbox out when you are imaging stuff? Or do you? :)

Dazz

Archived