Gandalfrees

I have been interested in astronomy since a small age. Never really got totally emersed in it but now I have bought a Skywatcher Explorer 130M telescope and intend to spend quite a few nights getting to grips with it. I am also looking into astrophotography. So I suppose I am what you would call a keen enthusiast. It would be great to actually see something that I have seen only through the eyepiece as an actual picture.

Any tips for a newbie would be very much appreciated!!

Hi and welcome to SGL. Good choice of starter scope.

A good and cheap way to get into imaging is to use a webcam like a philips spc900 with your telescope to image the moon and planets. There are plenty of threads on here with lots of information if you were interested. :D

Hi and welcome to the forum.

As Oldfruit has mentioned, your current set up along with a webcam will only be able to image the Moon and planets. As you look towards deep sky objects like galaxies and nebula, the equipment list will start to grow and will certainly have to include a decent motorised mount to carry it all and to be able to accurately track these faint objects for long enough periods to obtain sufficient data. Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) would provide an excellent starting point for you as it is a comprehensive guide advising you of what kit you need, why you need it and how to use it in order to achieve the standard of image that you're after. In fact the book is likley to save you money as imaging isn't cheap and I wouldn't want your first deep sky image of a black hole to be the one now found at the bottom of your wallet. :D:D

Clear skies

James

Archived