Hello from Exeter

4lefts

Just a quick hello, and a thanks for all the useful advice to be found here on this forum. I got my "Turn Left at Orion" at the weekend, and picked up my 10x50 Opticron Imagics from FLO this afternoon (a very helpful bunch!!!).

The moon was way too bright this evening, but I shouldn't moan because the sky was crystal clear. Very pleased with my first go - I was surprised what you could see with only 10x magnification (the Orion Nebula looked cool, as did the Pleiades, and I could see three of Jupiter's moons).

So, yeah, so far so good. Does anyone know any astronomy societies in Exeter?

Cheers,

Stephen.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Stephen and welcome. We are in Exeter and are members of the Norman Lockyer Observatory near Sidmouth. We attended a "Intro to Astronomy" course there last Saturday and it was terrific. They have weekly meet-ups and we shall be going up on Friday night to use our scope and the large scopes there. Check out their website here:

Welcome to the Norman Lockyer Observatory

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Hi Stephen and welcome. We are in Exeter and are members of the Norman Lockyer Observatory near Sidmouth. We attended a "Intro to Astronomy" course there last Saturday and it was terrific. They have weekly meet-ups and we shall be going up on Friday night to use our scope and the large scopes there. Check out their website here:

Welcome to the Norman Lockyer Observatory

I'll look into the Normal Lockyer Obeservatory - I did go there once a long time ago. Shame I missed the course - would have been ideal for me!

Do you know what time people meet up on a Friday? If people are still around later at night I might be able to come. I should e-mail the observatory.

Thanks again!

Hi Stephen,

They meet up between 7.30 and 8pm then there is a talk at about 8.30. After that there is a chance to use your own scope or others there and also, weather permitting, a chnace to look through the large telescope in one of the domes. It will be our first meeting but at the course everyone was extremely friendly and welcoming. We did not feel out of place and we are no "geeks"!

wow, thanks for all the welcomes, folks. this really is a friendly place.

@mallorcasaint - thanks for the extra info. friday nights are always crazy busy for me, but i might be able to swing something from time to time. and Greg, thanks for the link to the Tiverton one too.

Stephen.

Archived