Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Uranus

david's dob

I've tried a few times with no success :) Even using Stellarium, i'm struggling. But as they say, if at 1st you don't succeed.......

Maybe I should try the setting circles to help, as much as they confuse me though lol

EDIT: Congrats on finding it yourself mate :)

I have observed Uranus a few times now, it is indeed small through the ep even when I have pushed the power, 9mm Nagler, 2350 fl giving 261x mag. it was definately a distinguishable disc aginst the surrounding stars showing a slight greenish blue hue to my eyes, its a shame that both Uranus and Neptune don't seem to get as much interest as with other objects out there, then again how can they compete with Mars, Saturn and Jupiter :D

Its really clear in the midland's area at the moment and has been for the past few day's! i should be out there now to be fair having a small observing session :D but i dont have 10 coats to put on lol

I got it in the dob last week. A tiny disc at 240x and I could barely make out any colours on it tbh, but that could be because it was pretty low in the sky at the time. I reckon if it hadn't been so close to Jupiter I'd have had no chance of finding it!

I first found Uranus in my old 20x50 binocs,its easy to find I just drew the field down and returned about 3 days later and looked to see what had moved,

My old scope didn't show anything other than a small unfocusable blob (under high power) but at least I saw it,

same with Neptune,

You just got to keep trying and draw the star field down as often as you can,

Im getting a better scope any day soon,and guess whats the first thing Il be looking at ? :D

JJ..:evil1:

I managed to see Uranus for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't too difficult to find because it wasn't far from Jupiter. Through my 8" Dob at 120x it was just a tiny faint pale blue/green disc. I didn't have a camera with me, maybe next time though :-)

I found it without too much fuss at relatively low magnification a couple of weeks back despite the moon being close to full so I'm sure it can't be beyond too many people.

The best way I found was to get to Jupiter and then use the "hockey-stick" group of four stars starting to the south of Jupiter as a guide to get close to Uranus.

James

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen it several times over the last month, but I have the ability to cheat using a goto mount. It isn't impressive, but there is clearly a blue-green disk. Best views have been with my 15mm EP (x133). I've been trying to spot Miranda, but the planet is too low in the sky to give me a chance.

Archived