Another Newbie!!

steve2310

Hi all,

Firstly, I just wanted to say what a wealth of information SGL has and how useful I have found it in the last few weeks. Although I hadn't joined this site until today, I have spent the last few weeks reading advice (posts) and following other astronomers experiences with various pieces of equipment.

I am very, very new to stargazing and I only bought my first telescope literally the day after Stargazing Live finished. Yes, Brian Cox has a lot to answer for!!

I was so surprised (and inspired) at the quality of images that so called amateurs could produce that I was just gobsmacked. From there I decided it was something that I wanted to pursue.

In the last 2 weeks I have bought...

Skywatcher Explorer 200P/1000 with EQ5 mount (wanted to learn myself so did not want to go with the GOTO). I thought this would be a reasonable beginners scope?

Celestron Eyepiece and Filter Kit (just to get me started).

Baader Hyperion 13mm (first "nice" EP)

Philips 1.3MP USB Webcam 90fps and eyepiece adaptor (with CCD chip) - believe this is the one most astronomers seek for imaging?

I have tried out several of the Celestron eyepieces and was pleasantly surprised considering it was a kit. The Baader is a beautiful eyepiece and the despite still being relatively cheap compared to say a Nagler, I could really see the difference in quality.

Having a scope of F5 I'm considering what the next piece of kit is that I should invest in? The 2 Barlows I have are ok(ish) but I was considering a 5x Powermate? Really not sure what to do next?

Last night I had my first look at Jupiter with a Celestron 6mm and was generally pleased with the result but would really like a little more clarity. Any ideas how I could best achieve this guys? A better 5mm or 6mm eyepiece or a decent Barlow. I'm at somewhat of crossroads at the moment and I'm not sure which way to go.......

Really hooked though and just loving the sky!!!

Steve

Planisphere

Hi Steve and welcome to SGL.

I too had been lurking on the forum for a long time before joining - spent way too many hours reading old posts :-) But there is such a wealth of information here it is hard to stop reading.

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum.

Patience is the key I'm afraid but better seeing will come. It's always frustrating that a clear night always seems to appear at the same time a full moon appears - all sent to test us I'm sure. Mind you, when everything comes together, that will certainly keep you going for a long time!

Clear skies

James

Hello steve, like your good self i fished around this site as a guest for quite a while, the wealth of info is astounding, everybody seems very friendly and helpful from a beginners point of view which is encouraging too... good luck

Hi Steve, welcome to the Lounge.

That's some nice kit to be staring with, personally I don't know if the x5 will be over doing it a bit, the higher you magnify things, the dimmer they become, and you will reach a point where the view is too poor to see any detail.

Have a look here, it may help your decision.

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/80772-eyepieces-very-least-you-need.html

Its a good set of kit you have there - almost the identical set of kit I started with.

The 200 has almost endless upgrade possibilities with it and the Celestron EP kits is a pretty good mix of eyepieces to start with and you get some filters to play with as well.

The 13mm Hyperion is a well regarded EP as well. For planets a lot of people are using the TMB PLanetary II eyepieces whih are cheap - they get good reviews and I have a pair myself but so far I havent had the chance to use them.

Anyway welcome to the forum :)

Hi Steve and welcome to SGL :D

If you want a good barlow the Celestron Ultima or Orion Shorty are good 2x, any TV Barlow is good, and the TV Powermates are generally regarded as cream of the crop if you go 5x. However if you like the 13mm Hyperion the 8mm is a great performer too. Hope that helps :evil1:

Archived