NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First light.

jonl

Been lurking here for a while but finally signed up :-)

I’ve been interested in astronomy since childhood, but for one reason or another never delved that deep, but recently my 3 year old has shown an interest in space. So, upon returning from the inevitable library trip I noticed clear skies and an obvious planet. Not wanting to misinform him I had a quick google and came across Stellarium. Sure enough that is Jupiter, but hang on , says I, that’s Uranus very close! Out came the binoculars and there, exactly as the screen showed, was Jupiter, Ganymede, Europa, and, Uranus - this was the first time I could say with confidence that “Yes, I am looking at xyz”. Now that was a fantastic feeling. In the past it had always been “I think I am looking at xyz” with varying levels of confidence.

I’ve played with similar programs in the past and don’t know if it is just the slick graphics and user interface, or, this experience that makes me really rate this program?

Anyway, boy-meets-girl and the inevitable happens...

It was a toss-up between the SW-130P auto-goto and the SW-150P on an EQ3. A very close call - made more so when people here, in answer to other’s posts, pointed out the ‘cost’ of one’s time! But the call was made (no doubt influenced by the local supplier being out-of-stock of one flavour) and the 150P was purchased.

It had been very cloudy all day, but, halfway through assembly (a drawn out procedure due to the needs of little children) I noticed that the sky was clear. Out I rushed, on to the patio with the tripod, back in to pick up the OTA, outside again, oh [removed word] I can’t see, inside to turn patio lights on, outside to slide OTA in dovetail, inside to get some eyepieces, outside take covers off, fit eyepiece, inside to store lens covers, outside oh [removed word] patio lights are still on, inside to switch lights off, outside and point to moon. Right quick, line up finder scope with the terminator, done, right off to Jupiter. [removed word], roof is in the way! Right pick this lot up and run down garden. Blimey, that was heavier than I expected. OK, line up Jupiter in finder scope, and finally look through main eyepiece. After a bit of tweaking find Jupiter. And what a sight :-) Was so chuffed to see bands. The seeing conditions were poor (low elevation, haze, a few degrees above houses) but could make out coloured bands :-) And so I had first light, briefly (clouds soon rolled in), with an unbalanced and non-aligned scope, but it was good.

A few days later I had my first session. A good three hours. However, my neighbours went out and left their security light on which shone all over my back garden killing any hope of getting my pupils to dilate! I tried hiding behind a drape over the washing line, I even tried stacking two wheely bins to block the light, but to no avail. I’ve never been one for violence but I was so tempted to throw a brick at that light :-) On top of which the moon was gibbous and casting its own shadows all over the place!

But no clouds so...

First up, I was back on Jupiter. The seeing was worse, getting lots of shimmer, but could easily make out thicker band in one hemisphere, thought for a moment that I could see GRS but really suspect that was auto-suggestive rather than real. Saw the four Galilean moons - which pleased me as I really wanted to see Io. Tried to find Uranus but really struggled to be sure of where I was pointing - the ‘upside down’ world taking time to get used to.

Moved on to Gamma Andromedae (Almaak, or whatever your preferred spelling is) and WOW what a sight. The first time I’d ever seen stars have a colour with my own eyes. The yellow so standing out against its companion. I was surprised how easily I found this at my first real outing with a ‘scope, but it was such a buzz to know that “yes, I am looking at xyz”.

Moved 'scope and looked north, through trees, to Mizar just above a roof line. Found it harder to split the double, but understandable given the view. Didn’t really note a difference in colour.

On to M42, and this is where I found that binoculars really help in getting the target in the finder scope - a reference in front of you without needing to go back to a chart. When I looked through the E.P. I actually verbalised the mental ‘blimey’. My first “faint fuzzy” and I was rather impressed - so much so that when writing up my notes I commented that I should learn to draw (and I am in no way artistic).

I then spent ages trying to find M31. Although I came across two faint fuzzies (one of which I know was M31) I just could not _prove_ my orientation/location - the upside down view just gradually getting me more and more confused. Frustration was starting to get the better of me so I moved on to Eta Cassiopiae. Found this one easily, splitting the double, and restoring my flagging confidence. Didn’t really notice the colourations so need to return and have a proper look. And then moved back over to Orion to have a look at Sigma Orionis, seeing the two doubles easily.

Having been using the ‘scope with the tripod legs retracted (my original intention had been to sit down on a seat) I now had sopping wet knees, from kneeling down on the grass to look through the finder scope, and my big toes were freezing - despite wearing two pairs of socks. So having decided that that was enough for one night my neighbours come home and turn their security light off! The haze has been building and the clouds are rolling in again so I do call it a night.

A really good first session. Despite picking easy targets and moving between them quickly (need to get used to using a ‘scope) I am really surprised how interesting I’ve found the doubles. So want to get back out there - breakfast now includes looking at the cloud cover forecasts :-)

Bit of a long introduction, but anyway, hello :-)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jonl and welcome to the forum.

My that was a modest intro!:):D Nothing can beat a good observing session and in fact my toes starting to go cold reading it.

One tip for your observing if I may, and that is to get the scope out early to help that nice warm mirror to cool down before you start your observing. It's not that the mirror becomes deformed when warm :) it's because the warm thermals that it emits when placed outside in the cool evening air will take some time (1hr) to clear away from the surface of the mirror, its almost like looking through another layer of atmosphere. It makes that extra little bit of difference, particularly on those faint fuzzies.

Glad to hear you are up and running with it all. Shame about next door's light though - do you have access to an air gun?:)

Wishing you more clear skies.

James

Hi Jonl

Good to have you aboard.

Yes. I know the neighbour/security light thing well. I have one that leaves theirs on all night and one that has a 200w bathroom light that leaves theirs on.

Dave...

Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, that did go on a bit didn't it, sorry :-)

I think Stellarium has given me the confidence to _know_ what I am looking at - and that is such a nice feeling. Traditional charts, historically, always left me not 100% sure. However, having gained that confidence traditional charts are now more 'accessible'. But I think it's that boost in confidence that has spurred my excitement.

On cooling, indeed, on that first quick peek at Jupiter I was surprised the difference 10 minutes outside made to the view. Since then 'scope is stored in a shed so should be at ambient temperature.

:-) I didn't want to mention about an air-gun as I thought that might be too aggressive :-) But boy did I want to shoot that light out! They switched it on as they left the house! I don't know what wattage it is but you can just about read by it 20m away so no hope of getting, never mind keeping, night vision. We'll have to come to some agreement as it does flood my entire garden.

hi and welcome a some times have this probwith the ole security light i just jump over the fence and wrap a old bit of cloth round the sensor and take it of when am done ,you should plan a head go ask the person if you could do that or to switch it of altogether

pat

The light is manual - I think they switched it on so they could see the back door when they came home. They are approachable so I'll sort something out - I hope.

Thanks Brendan of Borg, it did feel like a bit of a non-stop tour, but with the light levels and being new to this I wanted to get as much 'scope experience as I could in the time. It has certainly left me drawn to the doubles :-)

Thanks Photohound, remarkably my little boy actually managed to see Jupiter through the scope! I was surprised as I didn't think he'd be able to close one eye and line up with the E.P., but when he said there was a "big star" and then started counting the "little stars" I was pretty convinced he'd managed it :-)

Thanks crabbiT Scot. Glad you enjoyed the read.

Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, that did go on a bit didn't it, sorry :-)

I think Stellarium has given me the confidence to _know_ what I am looking at - and that is such a nice feeling. Traditional charts, historically, always left me not 100% sure. However, having gained that confidence traditional charts are now more 'accessible'. But I think it's that boost in confidence that has spurred my excitement.

On cooling, indeed, on that first quick peek at Jupiter I was surprised the difference 10 minutes outside made to the view. Since then 'scope is stored in a shed so should be at ambient temperature.

:-) I didn't want to mention about an air-gun as I thought that might be too aggressive :-) But boy did I want to shoot that light out! They switched it on as they left the house! I don't know what wattage it is but you can just about read by it 20m away so no hope of getting, never mind keeping, night vision. We'll have to come to some agreement as it does flood my entire garden.

My dozy neighbour is about 50m away and his insecurity light is aimed right at me. It's so bright I can read my charts without a redlight and see the snails on the path to avoid standing on them.

On cooling, mine's the 150PL and because of the tube length you can actually see a heat haze ripple coming out the end for about ten minutes when I take it out below zero. I have looked at Jupiter when it was just out to set my finder and it wasn't pretty at all.

The light is manual - I think they switched it on so they could see the back door when they came home. They are approachable so I'll sort something out - I hope.

Thanks Brendan of Borg, it did feel like a bit of a non-stop tour, but with the light levels and being new to this I wanted to get as much 'scope experience as I could in the time. It has certainly left me drawn to the doubles :-)

my next doors love the fact am up half the night with the scope and think am mad at times and doubles are great a spend most nights chase in them my self

Archived