NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Feeling a bit stupid here...

I've had my Skywatcher 1145p scope for a couple of months now, and I've just discovered I've been using it wrong.:)

I've been using it by taking the centre piece out of the aperture cover, not realising that the whole cap comes off, not just the centre bit... Anyone know why it's designed this way, why have a smaller aperture opening as well as being able to take off the full cap, and also why wasn't it mentioned in the instructions? :evil6:

You won't actually damage your eyes by looking at the moon without the cap in place but some people find it a bit bright and like to reduce the amount of light coming into the scope. It does also reduce the light grasp and resolving power of the scope as well though.

You will be able to see a lot more now you have found out about removing the whole cap so that is good news :)

Ahh okay. I feel a bit thick because I've been using it by only taking out the centre piece... No wonder I couldn't see much.:)

Odd that it wasn't mentioned in the manual. It just says remove the cap, and since the middle bit was the bit I could see that's what I removed.

Ahh okay. I feel a bit thick because I've been using it by only taking out the centre piece... No wonder I couldn't see much.:evil6:

Don't worry, we have all done things like that at one time or another - and still are from time to time :)

Scopes are not always intuitive to use by any means.

I must admit there have been a few times when I've thought "Hey?! I get more mag, but how come I can't see much more than my Binos?" and just put it down to light pollution. Hopefully things will look a bit brighter from now on.

you think thats bad, saturday night I walked a mile with my scope on my back, got to where I observe realised i'd forgotten the power, walked back picked up my power pack made a cup of coffee, walked back to my observing site and realised I had forgotten to bring the power pack again 4 miles with a nexstar on your back now that's stupid

you think thats bad, saturday night I walked a mile with my scope on my back, got to where I observe realised i'd forgotten the power, walked back picked up my power pack made a cup of coffee, walked back to my observing site and realised I had forgotten to bring the power pack again 4 miles with a nexstar on your back now that's stupid

Douh! unlucky rowan. :) think that happens to us all now and again

Alan

I'm going to go the other way and say I'd formulated a plan to the brightness of the moon through my 6" reflector and was going to build a cap with a hole in it before I found that a bit came off the provided one.

Duh!

I still can't see the point in stopping down the aperture to view the moon or anything else for that matter - it's like crippling your scope :)

Your eye will adjust to the brightness and then you can see all the contrast and detail that your full aperture can deliver - why miss out on that ?.

I still can't see the point in stopping down the aperture to view the moon or anything else for that matter - it's like crippling your scope :)

Your eye will adjust to the brightness and then you can see all the contrast and detail that your full aperture can deliver - why miss out on that ?.

im sorry i have to disagree with u on that 1, if i view the full moon with all lovely 8 inches of my skywatcher, my eye hurts and i cant look for too long and also when i stop looking im left with a funny purple blob in my view for about 5 minutes,if i whack the dust cover on with the little one open i can view indefinitely:)

im sorry i have to disagree with u on that 1, if i view the full moon with all lovely 8 inches of my skywatcher, my eye hurts and i cant look for too long and also when i stop looking im left with a funny purple blob in my view for about 5 minutes,if i whack the dust cover on with the little one open i can view indefinitely:)

I've no problem with that at all and, if your eye hurts, you should do something about it :)

Just don't epxect to be able to resolve the features that an 8" scope is capable of - you are effectively using a 2" scope.

Perhaps buy a 2" scope to view the moon with :evil6:

I agree with starstalker on this. I go light blind with a 3/4 or full moon. i can tell its bright because i can see the object projected on my house wall through the eyepice.

yeah i know where u are coming from and obviously "aperture is king" but its nice to have the option of having a 2" inch scope (for such occasions)or an 8", and im pretty sure i read somewhere that it is dangerous to view the full moon for too long with a big scope its certainly not comfortable, (mind u saying all this i have only ever used the small aperture 3 or 4 times!)

Archived