NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First go at the pliades

Astroblagger

I think you have done remarkably well with that image, very pleasing and the colour doesn't look too far off. The other star colours look okay. You have retained the nice orange star in the field.

I tried to capture the same Messier yesterday night but there is not much one can do with a point and shoot camera (truing to hold it steady by hand). All I was able to capture were a couple of stars.

I dare to dream of having such a picture one day but I do believe that my wallet will suffer damages beyond recognition! :)

Wonderful picture!

Isabelle

That's a great amount of detail considering the relatively short exposure. Well done.

Did you realise that you've captured an asteroid in there too? It is Asteroid 37 Fides (100km across, discovered in 1855), and I've marked it on this extract. I'm always on the lookout for asteroid conjunctions with DSOs, and was planning to have a go at this one myself. Once you start looking, they're everywhere!

lukebl-albums-luke-s-help-images-picture8327-asteroid37-fides.jpg

Thanks for informing me about the asteroid I had no idea! Any idea how far away from earth it is?

I'm imaging it myself right now! Apparently it's 1.41 Astronomical Units away from Earth (c 132 Million Miles) and 2.19 AU from the sun.

, do you think there is much more nebulosity to bring out with a longer exposure?

Yes, of course! Make so many frames as possible.

Nice result. Don`t try to get the nebulas blue during the processing. If you do that, the other colours could be lost.

Cheers

Werner

Has it moved much in your image? Also how do you add arrows/text etc to photos? Can it be done in Photoshop?

Hi there. Had some real issues this evening as the kit was playing up (me with the flu, and being out of practice for weeks!) but just managed to capture this view before the clouds rolled in. You can see that asteroid Fides has moved a fair bit since your image of two days ago. Asteroids do move pretty fast, and some of them make a noticeable movement after an hour or less (See my post here: http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-widefield-special-events-comets/122137-asteroid-conjunction.html)

lukebl-albums-luke-s-planetary-images-picture8347-asteroid-fides-2011-01-09b.jpg

I'm no expert with Photoshop, but adding arrows and text is pretty easy. I made the little arrows using the 'Line' tool, and you can add text by clicking the 'Horizontal Type Tool'.

p.s. another 'well done' on your original image! That's a really nice image by any standards. What lens and tracking did you use?

Archived