Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello and help needed from Northern Ireland

WingoWango

Would just like to say hello to all and some advice would be great.

Well always had a passion for the sky from a young age and i'm lucky enough that my day (and night) job flying aircraft offers some stunning views of the night sky. So much so it has led me here to further this interest on the ground. I have a had a bit of a look around and i think my best bet would be to purchase some Binoculars and a planasphere then spend some time making my self familiar with the basics.

So i'm led to believe that some 10x50 bins would do the trick. My question is though. I'm not looking at spending a great deal of cash say a budget of 30 pounds . If anyone could point me in the right direction of something along these lines and would be suitable for stargazing etc then i would really appreciate it!

Thanks for your time and i look forward to sharing my experiences..

The 10x50bins would be the right start so welcome to SGL, £30 will get you bins easily, Cannot advise on the brand but others will chime in. You can join an astro club in your area as many have scopes for new members to try.

JohnH.

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the couple of tips already. Just spotted a pair of Meade 10x50 porro BAK4 bins (which i read would be quite good?) for 29.99 online but will keep searching and await for some more advice from the more experienced....

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Lidl often sells 10x50 binos that I believe are the Meade variety but are often branded under various names. You need to get them out of the box to make they're ok but they only cost £15.00 and I must have half a dozen all over the house in the car etc. I wouldn't say they are brilliant (you get what you pay for) but as a starter pair that you wouldn't worry if you dropped them on the floor so to speak they are good enough.

Clear skies

James

Hi and welcome from me too. I did a comparison on the Lidl Bresser bins some time ago. The Lidl ones are I think sometimes branded as Meade.....the review along with a quick guide to checking the Lidl pair out is on my website in my sig below.

Hi WW and welcome to SGL :)

For the price the Liddl Rockwell 10x50's are great value for money. Make sure you don't get a dud pair though - they should give crystal sharp views with only a tiny bit of coma. With a 30 day money back guarantee you can't go wrong :D

Hi! I've just discovered this site and this is my first post, so I hope it's useful!

I'm also from the north of Ireland, the west side, so I've got really black skies.......the whole Milky Way in my back garden in fact! Anyway, if you're going to buy a binocular for star-gazing, the most important feature you need is a tripod mounting facility. Having the bino on a simple camera tripod gives you rock-steady views and will enhance the viewing experience one-hundred-fold. I can suggest Sherwood Photographic(you can get them on the web)who supply Visionary binoculars which have the necessary fitting installed. 10x50's are around £25 - I have 7x50's from this range which are excellent optically and quite lightweight. Recommend them without reservation.

Once again i appreciate all the welcoming posts!

Ken that's fantastic i will look into that supplier. Sadly I'm not so lucky to have such a dark sky in my back garden but have a few spots in mind that are close. I'm looking forward to getting some kit then getting out in the open!

Archived