NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

you got a telescope for xmas aswell

Reaper

Hi all

so here i am, another newb to the forum, another barrage of questions that have been asked time and time again (i promise to use the search feature)

well christmas day i opened up a 76mm newtonian and on monday i returned it for a celestrion 127EQ with the hopes of seeing a bit more deeper than a 76mm,

so its online to order a new barlow lens as the plastic one provided looks a bit naff.

so Hi from me and i hope to be participating soon into the realms of deep space, or atleast be that annoying kid who jumps up and down shouting "i want to see"

cheers

steve/reaper

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks.

i too have been plauged by cloudy nights been sitting watching the met office waiting to see if theres any signs of the cloud going away.

but on the plus side it gives me/us time to read up so that when it does clear up i will have some knowledge on where to look.

Personally I would not bother with a barlow for the 127, at least at this stage. It is a mak and has a long focal length so you do not really need a short focal length eyepiece, which is in effect what a barlow gives.

Equally I am not a great fan of barlows and prefer an eyepiece of whatever focal length.

For most use I doubt that you will use anything less then 10mm, (suspect one came with the scope), a barlow on this makes 5mm and that is too much for the scope.

You might well want a better 10mm eyepiece, and in time a 8mm and a 12mm to give some variation for when seeing conditions vary. After that a nice long one, 32mm, to make locating things easier. The 20mm (or 25mm) that came with the scope is OK for general viewing.

Personally I would not bother with a barlow for the 127, at least at this stage. It is a mak and has a long focal length so you do not really need a short focal length eyepiece, which is in effect what a barlow gives.

Equally I am not a great fan of barlows and prefer an eyepiece of whatever focal length.

For most use I doubt that you will use anything less then 10mm, (suspect one came with the scope), a barlow on this makes 5mm and that is too much for the scope.

You might well want a better 10mm eyepiece, and in time a 8mm and a 12mm to give some variation for when seeing conditions vary. After that a nice long one, 32mm, to make locating things easier. The 20mm (or 25mm) that came with the scope is OK for general viewing.

the scope came with a 4mm and a 20mm, and a 2x barlow lens. but one thing im not too sure about is that the 20mm is quite long, and on the side it has 20mm erecting eye piece ?

is this just a normal 20mm eye piece or is it a naff one in order to keep the price down ? and your right probally first upgrades would by eye

piece(s)/kit then go from there.

thank you for your replies and welcomes

the scope came with a 4mm and a 20mm, and a 2x barlow lens. but one thing im not too sure about is that the 20mm is quite long, and on the side it has 20mm erecting eye piece ?

is this just a normal 20mm eye piece or is it a naff one in order to keep the price down ? and your right probally first upgrades would by eye

piece(s)/kit then go from there.

thank you for your replies and welcomes

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum, I think the 20 mm erecting eyepiece means that it will show the image the "right way up", as if you are viewing something terrestrial. If I'm wrong someone will reply with the right answer:)

I got a celestron astromaster 130eq for crimbo - is this okay as a novices' scope ? - is there anything I should be aware of when first using it (properly) ?

I have been messing with a webcam to use on the scope but with all these clouds I will need to wait awhile before jumping in with both feet

Archived