lost in space

shaunytrout

Hi,

I have had a passing flirtation with astronomy for years but not knowing enough about telescopes etc I usually get bored - so with the intent of taking astronomy seriously I would like to know if anyone has details of an astronomy club in (or near) Chorley - Lancashire.

don't let me get away this time :(

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Shauneytrout, welcome to SGL.

You don't need to know anything about telescopes to enjoy the sky. I would suggest a pair of binoculars, which nearly all that own scopes also have and enjoy using. They are affordable, portable and don't take much storage space. There is an entire section dedicated to binocular observation on the forum, with advice on how to get the best out of your binoculars.

Also download Stellarium, a free and very useful programme, which again, just about everyone I know, has and use's regularly.

Stellarium

Then have a good look round the forum, there is lots of information regarding the choice of scope, set up and maintenance. When the time comes and you decide to get a scope, then just ask, people will give you good advice as to what would suit you with regard to your budget.

Enjoy!

Just finished playing with stellarium -( excellent link - thanx Baz )

managed to get quite close (liverpool) as default setting.

lots of info on the BBC website for the up & coming astronomy progs - lots of events in different areas so it looks like a good start this time

Archived