NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solstice lunar eclipse from Aberdeen

Andrew*

Beautiful event this morning. I saw it from around 7am when it was about 75% covered, until the moon set at 8.30, when it was total.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=915&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=931&g2_serialNumber=2

Almost total - star is 132 Tauri

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=910&g2_serialNumber=2

Totality

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=914&g2_serialNumber=2

It was amazing how it was swallowed by the twilight and the atmosphere as it set. It became almost invisible!

Time: 7.40-8.14am, 21st December 2010

Camera: Canon 450D on static tripod

Telescope (close-up): Vixen A80SS achro

Lens (wide): Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 at 70mm

Exposure: 1/3 to 1.3 seconds, f/4.5-5, ISO 400

Hope you enjoy!

Andrew

Yep, superb! I am glad so many people managed so many good quality images of the eclipse (especially considering the weather atm!) I had no chance to see it so thanks to everyone that made the effort and shared the results :)

Thank you for your kind comments :) And of course a Merry Christmas to you all!

Martin, I well remember the 2007 eclipse - it was a great event that I watched from start to finish. IIRC it was clear for most of the UK, so the whole forum was buzzing with sightings and images during the days that followed! :p

FIne images Andrew. Might be worth running the first three through Neat Image or Noise Ninja to see how they turn out. I shot at ISO200 but still found some of the images a little rough and needing NR.

Thanks for the tip, Dave. I do agree they are a little noisy. I was shooting untracked on a photo tripod, so used ISO 400 to enable shorter exposure lengths. This has contributed to the noise somewhat.

Must download the programs mentioned and give them a go. I used a bit of "Reduce Noise" filter in CS3, but it's probably not as powerful as those you mention :hello2:

Cheers

Andrew

Archived