Hi!

Dickie947

Hi!

Just found this forum and thought I'd introduce myself - I've always had a casual interest in astronomy, but never really taken it any further than finding somewhere dark on the odd clear night and wondering what I was looking at (usually with the dog in tow, who knew about as much as I did!). Having moved down to Cornwall where the nights are a lot darker I've decided to put a bit of effort in and hopefully start learning a lot more about the night sky; on which note, does anybody have suggestions about what/where to start learning about first?

Thanks,

Dickie

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dickie, a very warm welcome to SGL, the easiest and least expensive way to ease yourself into Astronomy is to buy a pair of bino`s, download the free program Stellarium, from there you can make a start on learning the Constellations in the night sky, an accompanying book in your Christmas stocking "Turn Left at Orion" will help you on your way, enjoy the forum.

John.

Hi Dickie and welcome to the forum. To get started I would also recommend some binos and downloading 'Stellarium'. Turn Left at Orion is another good suggestion but the data tables contained in the back of the book are only valid up to the year 2011 and as the book isn't a cheap purchase I would recommend waiting till after spring next year when the new edition is likely to come out - this will provide you with better value for money.

Clear skies in the meantime

James

Hi Dickie

Welcome aboard.

Don't want to sound like a stuck record, but as the masses recommend.

Bino's

Stellarium....etc.

Also Sky at Night and Astronomy now mags are worth a peek as they give you the months night sky overview.

Dave...

Welcome Dickie,

I got my astronomy bug rekindled after downloading Stellarium and then getting Google sky map on my HTC, trouble is when I am walking the dog and looking at the night sky with google skymap I'm forever tripping over things (much to the amusement of fellow dog walkers):)

Archived