Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera Problem

Russell.D71

Basically the camera as you buy it has a filter that cuts off wavelengths that would be useful for astrophotography but which are not needed for 'normal' day to day photography.

A modifed camera has had the filter removed or at least replaced with something more appropriate for astrophotography.

Hi Russell. You can definitely get excellent results without modifying the camera. I would suggest you get the hang of imaging first, then consider modding it later. My camera is unmodded, mainly as I use it for terrestrial stuff too, and can't justify the expense of two cameras.

What colour is the extra infrared light displayed in an image obtained with a modified camera? Presumably it adds predominantly to the red channel? Does that give a red cast to an astro-image before it's tweaked?

Secondly, is light pollution more trouble for a modified camera?

Hi Russell and welcome to SGL :)

A lot of nebulas emit light in the red end of the spectrum, from the dust clouds around them. Have a look at pictures of the rossette nebula as a good example. The red colours in the dust clouds are considerably reduced in unmodified cameras. :)

Archived