Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello there, a new complete beginner, couple of questions

burf2000

Hi, welcome to SGL.

I would suggest learning where the Pole star is, as most GoTo's need pointing North to start with, so they have a rough idea where to find the alignment stars. If you haven't already got it, here's a link to Stellarium. Enjoy your new scope, don't forget to let us know how you get on with it.

Stellarium

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi from me - you could always get a Celestron Nexstar with SkyALign which will sort the GoTo out with ANY three stars. You dont even have to know which stars they are. Just aim the scope at any three bright stars and the GoTo does the rest.

Nexstars can be a bit temeperamental and they do like stars that are far apart but by and large the SkyAlign software works pretty well.

A lot of this depends on what your budget is. Meades LighSwitch scope wil do the lot for you - all you have to do is level it and it will find north and handle the whole alignment routine on its own but it costs and for your cash you dont get a lot of telescope aperture.

Hi Simon and welcome to SGL. I would also recommend Sky at Night magazine. Apart from what to look for every month there is a section where Patrick Moore points out a particular lunar feature of interest. I recently found the Lunar 100 on this forum which will keep you busy if you get hooked on the moon. Not that you would need your GOTO for it! Hope you enjoy your new scope. Dave

Welcome Simon! :) May I suggest you get yourself some form of 12V power supply to run your mount as the 8 x AA cell option is not particularly good. The mount electronics can be quite temperamental if not fed enough Volts!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again, sorry I was a little slow in reply, with xmas, and my wife pulling her back (and being pregnat) I been a bit busy.

Watched the Stargazer Live today and was inspired. Sadly though where I am, Jupiter is clouded over.

I going to download Stellarium and have a play.

I would love to get a webcam mount (and webcam if there is a better one), anyone recommend anywhere to get one for my score?

Also, I have a question (or 2). I setup my scope at xmas and read the instructions etc. The finder scope does not seem very stiff in its fitting which would lead me to think it would not be accurate. Maybe its not supposed to be?

Second question (3rd if you count the webcam), where would I get a 12v power from. I do have a car lead and a mains adapter but I thinking a rechargable battery would be better.

Thanks.

Archived