Help with starmaps please

Diego

Hello,

I am new to this site and amateur astronomy. I have been looking for a star map to help me start myself off. My problem is that I live in Miami. So I cant really use the northern skymaps or the equatorial ones. I did some googling and found that my area doesnt really pertain to north or equatorial and i should combine 2 star maps to see what my sky looks like. So i figured the 2 i should combine are the north and equatorial ones. I notice that both of these appear a bit off. This is becasue to me when i go out at night i can see the entire orion constellation above me and in both the equatorial and northern sky maps only less than half of the orion constellaion is "supposed" to be visible. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Nice!! thanks for the help guys! Truly appreciate it, the starmaps were starting to drive me nuts from having to go back and forth between two maps at at ime, now i can go outside in peace :)

Hi Diego, welcome to SGL.

I have the Sky and Telescope Pocket Atlas. This covers the entire sky, north and south, and is very reasonably priced.

It also has a lot of detail for such a small atlas, I find it very useful.

Have a look at it on Amazon and see what you think.

Hello diego and welcome from me too.

Sky & Telescope have on online interactive star map as well. Its quite useful and will show you a sky map based on the location you put in. So will the others mentioned above. S&T is very good for beginners in my view. :)

Hello and welcome to SGL

As far as I can tell Miami is 25.5 degrees north of the equator ,

the Orion DeepMap 600 covers +90 deg to +50 deg in polar format and more importantly to you +70 deg to -60 deg in standard format , it,s also waterproof and rip proof .

This should be available from your Orion Telescope dealer .

Good luck and clear skies

Archived