Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter - Skymax 127 (f/44)

Leedsgreen

Dear All,

Combined 2.5x and 1.5x barlows this evening to push the (f/11.8) scope to f/44 when imaging Jupiter. I think I have read that anything above f/40 is empty magnification?

Anyway, image attached, which turned out better than all the 'boiling' suggested! Stack of ~600 frames in Registax.

Thanks for looking,

Nick

post-16684-133877497711_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments everyone, much appreciated.

Not at all Stuart, your reworked version shows more detail (and looks better a little smaller as well).

Yeah, I think f/44 is too much but wanted to give it a go with Jupiter still fairly close. Even though I had the webcam shutter at 1/25s, gain and brightness were still a respectable 50 (with gamma well down to 10).

Thanks again,

Nick

hey Nick great result and practise at that focal length,

not quite sure what Mak's hotspot is for focal length

but def think it's more than most would suggest in good seeing ofcourse,

i took captures while ago using 2.5x, 3x, 3x with ext and 4x barlows

result is in my album here,

http://stargazerslounge.com/members/aztecastromcj-albums-webcam-picture6553-jupiter-barlow-comparisons.html

think i convinced myself, 3x with ext was best result this night

nice 1

James

Dear All,

Thanks again for the comments and discussion.

James, that's a great link thanks. Am I correct is assuming that x3 ext means 3x barlow with extension tube added or something completely different? I have thought about buying a 3x tele-extender and wonder if that is what you refer to. I agree though, the 3x ext does appear to offer the best balance between magnification and detail.

Nick

• 2 months later...

Loving those pictures AztecastroMcJ, interesting combination of barlow lenses. Whilst im here is it possible I could pick your brain?

I have just returned a 130p due to the fact i want to get into AP and looking to purchase either 200p on eq5 or this the Skymax 127 on eq 3-2. I was convinced with the 200p until ive seen photos like yours and others of the sheer clarity of jupiter an other planets aswell as (and i know this is supposed to be untrue) nebulae and DSO's. I wandered whether you haved used a faster scope like f5 (as is the 200p) and could offer some advice here. Im so confused about this :).

Thanks again.

Rich T

Loving those pictures AztecastroMcJ, interesting combination of barlow lenses. Whilst im here is it possible I could pick your brain?

I have just returned a 130p due to the fact i want to get into AP and looking to purchase either 200p on eq5 or this the Skymax 127 on eq 3-2. I was convinced with the 200p until ive seen photos like yours and others of the sheer clarity of jupiter an other planets aswell as (and i know this is supposed to be untrue) nebulae and DSO's. I wandered whether you haved used a faster scope like f5 (as is the 200p) and could offer some advice here. Im so confused about this :).

Thanks again.

Rich T

thx for compliments

unfortuneatly i've only owned one scope since i began hobby in 2009, the amazing 127 Mak :)

for me its the best value planetary and lunar scope u can buy under £400,

yes u can get better but it will cost more cash.

the faster newt u mention is best suited to dso altho few newt users like Neil Phillips get excellent results on planets and moon aswell

on nights of best seeing the extra aperture of newt would almost certainly give better result

prob at larger scale with more detail,

but on average nights and less good seeing there wouldn't be that much difference i imagine

portabilty ease of use and maintenance all favour the mighty Mak

also Mak more stable and less affected by windy nights

HTH James

Archived