what time do you view?

i,ve been pondering on what is the usual time of night for observing.do you folks have a regular time you like to observe or is it a case of "after the pub" the skies seem best around here after midnight but when working the next day it,s a bind to stay up so late:icon_scratch:

Between about 9 and 11, usually, as I have to be at work at 8 AM and capable of making coherent sentences. If there's something amazing happening, I have been up as late as 12.30 on a weeknight, 2AM on a weekend. In summer we get decent dark after 11.00 so I don't have to be up after midnight to see something.

I like to stay up until dawn sometimes. It's a magical experience to watch the different colours appear - deep blue, pale green, yellow and orange, gradually watching the stars disappear and going to bed with the sound of the dawn chorus in the ears and distant space in my minds eye. Have to drink a few cups of coffee to stay up that late though !

Alan

If you go to this page and configure it for your location, then click on the "Insolation" tab, you'll see a graph of the times available for astronomy in your area over an entire year. Basically it's the black bit - all the other bits mean it's getting too light to continue :D

Sky View Cafe - Astronomy - Star Charts and Ephemeris

The weather is my boss. :D

I get out whenever it's good enough. I have set my alarm to the middle of the night a few times when the weather prediction says it's going to clear. Usually I observer between 9 to 11 but have endured up 'till 5 am a few times. Then I sleep only a couple of hours before going to work. It's a bit exhausting but a good night sleep, the next day, can cure that.

I put the scope out to cool any time from dusk onwards. I'll be out an hour or two later. Been up 'til 4-5am on several nights, but usually 1-2am ish. I always have a couple of hours sleep after tea if I know I'll be up late.

Good question, I have to look after my 14 month old all day so I can't be up all night like I used to, plus I need to spend time with the missus at night so I get a samll couple of hour window from 11pm till 2am. When the solar filter arrives I can add daytime viewing to the list as well. When the kid is a bit older I am sure my time will increase.

I'm a morning person by choice. Just so happens the sky is better then too. I don't mind getting up an hour or two early before work and getting in some observing. Especially if there is a planet working it's way into the sky. All my best views of Mars, Saturn and Jupiter this year have been in the early hours.

some interesting answers there:) reason i ask is recently get all excited just before dark in anticipation of some good viewing only to watch the clouds roll in as soon as it,s dark:icon_confused:.As i work 12 hour shifts a late observing session is not an option when i,m at work the next day.glad to see it,s a mixed bag of viewing times,hopefully the god of the skies will be kinder to me soon:hello2:

do you folks have a regular time you like to observe or is it a case of "after the pub"

After the pub? No, I don't trust myself to use complicated heavy equipment when I've been boozing.

Regular time? Does the sky have a regular time to be clear? I was up from 7am Sunday till midnight last night because the sky was clear ... just a few short naps to keep me going. Been sleeping most of the day ...

Archived