Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star Party

oldfruit

Hi. I`m Mark from Boston in Lincolnshire. Do any of you guys have any Star Parties in the Winter time or just in Spring and Autunm? If you have in the winter then where can i go that is not too far from me? When i say not too far i mean about 50-60 miles form Boston.

The autumn and spring equinoxes at Kelling Heath near Cromer are the big ones in your area Mark. Unfortunately you also just missed Wisbech this past weekend (though I understand the weather wasn't any good).

There are regular meetings however between groups organised here on SGL. If you join the guys at East Mids Stargazers they are currently looking for sites in the Norlfolk area to meet and observe. Just click the link in my signature for more details - all the best :(

Hi Brantuk. Thanks for the reply. I actually visited the Wisbech site for a short time on Friday evening as it is only about 30m up the road from me. You are right, the weather was not good so i took no kit with me, just me and one of my lads. All was not lost though as i met Malc and Chez and had a chat for a while and was really pleased that i did. Really nice folks. It is just nice sometimes to talk about the hobby with people that have the same interest and was like a breath of fresh air for me to be honest. But i want more, i feel like i want more. Astronomy can be a lonely hobby sometimes, and whilst my wife is great and god bless her, she comes out for a minute or two, she is soon back on the sofa watching telly, etc, etc. I want to know where i can take the next step with this hobby, meet people that are serious about it like me.

You're very welcome Oldfruit - try the EMS guys - we have one dark site allready which has been well attended over the past year and looking good for another - but that one's a bit far from you.

Several of our chaps are on the verge of securing a second regular site somewhere out your way - I reckon you'd enjoy being a part of that. So feel free to join up.

There's also a third in the offing - being discussed tonight but again too far from you (and me lol).

Another alternative is to join your local astro soc - the one I know of out your way is Loughton Astro Soc - they organise one of the Kelling equinox do's - I'm sure you'd be in good company there.

Further afield the big Star Parties include: Kielder (happened last w/e), Salisbury (a few weeks ago now), and SGL6 in Hereford - upcoming soon so watch out for announcements, and Dumfries and Galoway (again upcoming but I have no info yet).

Hope that helps :(

Hello from Billinghay! You will find a few of us 'yellowbellies' on here! Most of us are members of the East Midlands Section of SGL, take a look! There are several of us trying to find a 'dark skies' site in the Louth / Horncastle area to hold observing meets etc.

If you are interested PM me or Cosmic Dave who is doing the lion's share of the organising and you will be more than welcome to join in.

Buzz

Archived