Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pictures taken during some LX/mono mods

geppetto

Is it possible to get this mod done, for serial where you use the original webcam body?

Would a serial to USB adapter work ok on it also?

I'm interested in buying one of these as a completed item if someone can put one together for me? (I only have usb sockets on my laptop.)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm interested in buying one of these as a completed item if someone can put one together for me? (I only have usb sockets on my laptop.)
Anyone? :)
I'm working on some at the moment as it happens B)

mrmoo, I would also be very interested in purchasing one of these from you :grin:

Oh, I think one would be hard pressed to cram that all into the small original housing....

Sorry, I meant the main mod inside it's original casing (which geppetto posted pics of earlier) but the serial to usb can be on the lead, don't mind that. It just needs to be a discreet easy to transport bundle that doesn't have a whopping great box on it! :)

th_cam54.jpg

How much would it cost me for a USB with LX in it's original housing variant? :)

Personally I wouldn't recommend it. For a couple of reasons. First you really have to squeeze it all in there and for a long term unit I'd prefer to have proper cable strain relief, all heatshrinked and tidy with easy access. And secondly I needs a little air flow to remove the small amount of heat that builds up, nothing much, a small fan seems to work very well. You don't want the ccd to warm up, adds noise to the image.

mrmoo, I would also be very interested in purchasing one of these from you B)
I've just finished making bespoke PCB's with LX and AMP off all in. Designed to fit in the MB1 ABS boxes, so only 8x6x4cm overall. I have enough parts, fans, serial adapters etc to make two units. Or I guess I could make a pcb kit, pre drilled with loose components along with some lengths of special small gauge wire. The other bits to finish a box are easy to find.

gedc0889e.jpg

I've just finished making bespoke PCB's with LX and AMP off all in. Designed to fit in the MB1 ABS boxes, so only 8x6x4cm overall. I have enough parts, fans, serial adapters etc to make two units.

That looks really nice.

Does it have a switch to set it back to normal mode?

How much would a fully built one cost me then (I'd like to think I could put one together from the pcb and parts, but I would be kidding myself! :))

PM me if you'd prefer.

Cheers.

Does it have a switch to set it back to normal mode?

Yeah there is a latching push button on the top.

I'll get back to you when the first one is built, just tooling up my mill to cut the box accurately. Won't be long.

Yeah there is a latching push button on the top.

Ah yes, I see it on the pic now. Nice design.

I'll get back to you when the first one is built, just tooling up my mill to cut the box accurately. Won't be long.

Cheers. :)

That looks nice mrmoo, any idea on cost? :icon_eek:

I'm waiting for all the bits to come so I can put them together and work out a fair price. I'd prefer to wait until they're built and tested before saying too much. But it won't be over the top. I have also made enough pcb's for 10 DIY kits, 5 of which I've pre asssembled the pcb's, i.e soldered the components to make it easier for some. The kit will contain the pre-machined box, pcb + components, switch, socket, cable-gland, wires (inc screened signal), all the screws and pillars needed to mount the cam, socket and fan. All you'd need is a webcam, nose-piece and serial adapter. To assemble I'll include a CD with the circuit diagrams and pictures of each step. Just needs the wires attaching to the cam/board and screwing together.

gedc0911.jpg

Me too. :icon_eek:

First one is complete and tested. PM'd you a link to high res pics.

I'll look forward to hearing how much a built one will be :rolleyes:

Second one should be done tomorrow if I get some time. I'll give a shout when it's tested.

Both finished, new circuit boards working as expected. Finished cameras came out very nice if I do say so myself. Don't think I'll be making any more though. First dibs to the earlier posters, then they go up on the for sale section.

GEDC0931-1.jpg

GEDC0936-1.jpg

Can this mod be done with just USB?

The voltages involved are different, among a few other key points, you really need the adaptor for this, it isnt the physical shape that is different, the USB-serial adaptor has a chipset inside it to do the donkey work. One tip I have is that a lot of mods use 2 adaptors, usb -> serial -> parallel, you can skip the parallel connector completely and just put the serial connector straight onto the cable, then you only need a usb to serial adaptor.

Archived