Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pictures taken during some LX/mono mods

geppetto

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The photos and description of doing this mod are the best on the web I reckon. When I did my mod about 3 years ago it would have been very useful to have this thread. Thanks to all who have contributed - fantastic effort!!

Sam

Nice of you to say. This was in the days of £60 SPC900's on eBay. Now you can get them for less than a 10er it's a different ball game I guess. I could get some more etched but for the price you could buy 2 cameras and risk c*cking one of them up making the mod the 'conventional' way.

This was in the days of £60 SPC900's on eBay.

Yes, that did focus the mind:D

Lovely design though.. did you get any spurious lines or anything

having moved the boards apart?

Having said that though, the CCD hasn't moved relative to it's own

board which is where trouble starts:)

You can't order them from the company, they just sub contracted them for me, the boards are my own design.

That's what I meant. I was going to design my own and I'm looking (or was looking at the time) for a place that can make a small number for a reasonable price...

There is still room in this box for the internals of a small USB hub and a USB to parallel converter. Then you would only need one USB cable coming out...

Not in this particular box as it's smaller than it looks in the pictures...

Doable in a bigger box though:)

Hi,

I used an origianl SPC900NC as a guide cam, how much more sensitive is the modded version, is it worth it all in the end.

I have a 1/2 inch mono ccd that is great for guiding. I only did this because it was cheap and the weather has been so bad of late.

What should I expect from this mod?

Acme

Hi,

I used an origianl SPC900NC as a guide cam, how much more sensitive is the modded version, is it worth it all in the end.

I have a 1/2 inch mono ccd that is great for guiding. I only did this because it was cheap and the weather has been so bad of late.

What should I expect from this mod?

Acme

Better chance of a decent guide star really...

I generally set my guide camera at 2 seconds and I've never not had a choice of stars to choose from....

I'm about to modify one of my Web cams. I've ordered and received all the parts required for the job, barring the housing. I'll be picking up the housing this Friday, from Maplins. I was wandering if its possible to fit a CPU cooling fan onto the housing, how would I connect the power required for the fan unit. Is it possible to incorporate the power required for the fan into the power supply of the Web cam? Would I gain anything by doing this modification?

Thank you for looking.

You can see if you can get a 5Volt fan and connect it to the 5V the USB port provides. But make sure you know what you are doing or you could damage the computer that you plug it into.

Also bear in mind that the air you want to suck out with the fan needs to come from somewhere. So you'll need vent holes somewhere on the other side to allow an air flow.

Archived