Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pictures taken during some LX/mono mods

geppetto

Is this a USB or SerialPort Mod, could anyone enlighten me please?

If Serial Port, am I right in thinking it just plugs into the port on your computer/laptop that has the little outline of a printer next to it?

(You can see that an IT whizz I'm not either!)

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to YesYes for giving me the idea..

I took the parallel to USB PCB out of the cable I got from ebay, it's connected inside the project box. Now I have a USB cable direct to my laptop.

I will post some pictures as soon as it's complete..Looks very neat and tidy!!

Acme

Silly question about the long exposure mod as I have never used it before.

How do you know when you have done it? :icon_salut:

I decided not to use the manual switch/deadbug chip method.

But went with this mod instead:

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/59966-spc900nc-sc1-mod.html

Switching between long exposure/normal, is done with the 4066b chip and the computer capture programme via the parallel port.

As for my question. I am trying to check everything is correct before I final fix the SPC900 in the casing.

I still have the lens connected to check everything.

So, I open up my capture programme (wxAstro),connect the SPC900 and I get the normal webcam image on the screen.

I then click on the long exposure tab (with seconds set to 1) and the camera image freezes??

If I wave my hand infront,the image changes to a frozen shot of my hand ...

Is this correct??

Wayne

I'm a bit stuck...

I have been soldering away and have some elements of the LX mod done, but I can't identify these resistors. I know the colour codes represent the value, but I really need confirmation, because I don't want to bodge it up.

Checked the order sheet often enough, and I did order the right ones.

I'm sticking my neck out here a bit, because other forums would castigate me for being such an idiot, but I swallow my pride....:icon_salut:

resistors.jpg

From the left: brown, brown, brown red (I think!)

then: brown black yellow brown

then: brown orange red brown

finally: brown black black red brown

:(

Sam

The fourth resistor is a 10K in the new banding system so

you probably have the full set...

I hesitated because I was a service engineer for 40 years using the old colour codes but now I have to double check with the new stuff :icon_salut:

You have three resistors in the old code and one in the new....crazy world

Hello everyone, I've finally finished the LX mod, plus amp off. All seems working fine, the camera is picked up by wxAstroCapture, under normal and Long exposure, after configuring the correct port. My question is, how do I test that the Amp off switch is working? I've tried switching it on and off, and I cant see that its making any difference to the picture. Any help appreciated.

Thank you.

Hello everyone, I've finally finished the LX mod, plus amp off. All seems working fine, the camera is picked up by wxAstroCapture, under normal and Long exposure, after configuring the correct port. My question is, how do I test that the Amp off switch is working? I've tried switching it on and off, and I cant see that its making any difference to the picture. Any help appreciated.

Thank you.

You need to take a long dark exposure to see if you get any amp glow appearing.

Where to you get the information from to do the amp off mod??

I have done the long exposure mod but the link for the amp off mod is dead.

I am looking for a simple step by step guide for the amp off mod.

I think :o (reading a post somewhere) amp glow starts to show at around 120 seconds.

Archived