Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pictures taken during some LX/mono mods

geppetto

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Philip i have flashed my 2 webcams to spc 900 and stripped 1 down, it matches your pics so i have ordered the parts to do the mod as per your pages , 1 question i have is i only have usb on my lappy, so do i just not connect the serial cable and if so will it still work on usb alone, hope this is not a stupid question electrics is not my strongest skill !!!

thanks for your great post and pics , regards Tony

Various boxes will do but the last one I re boxed a few days back

used an ABS box from Maplin

Maplin code LH20W........58mm X 36mm X 79mm....£3.09

When using a case, it makes the whole modd 100% easier as

there's plenty of room to mount the switch and cables.

Also, if you so wish, you can Araldite an old eyepiece chrome barrel (make sure it's threaded for filters) to the case, centered over the hole where the CCD senser is.

This means you don't even have to buy an adaptor....:)

This could be the basis of a nice cheap little astro-photography computer?

Back Panel Connectors

1 x PS/2 keyboard port

1 x PS/2 mouse port

x 1 x parallel port x

1 x serial port

1 x D-Sub port

4 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports

1 x RJ-45 port

3 x audio jacks (Line In/Line Out/Microphone)

The motherboard comes with a dual core Atom processor (and integrated Intel graphics). . . . . :)

Gigabyte GA-D510UD Intel Atom D510 Intel NM10 VGA Out.. | Ebuyer.com

eta: Gigabyte site http://ee.giga-byte.com/products/mb/specs/ga-d510ud_10.html

Excellent work Phillip and thank you very much for documenting the various options, very useful :)

Have you done the amp-off mod on any of these cams? I modded one a couple of years ago, I never managed to figure out the amp-off mod though. I did however get a chance to compare mine with one with the amp-off mod, there was no amp glow visible after 5 minutes and it did make a big difference. Good darks will remove most of it but you're always taking something out of the image if you have that much thermally generated noise to start with.

Thanks again,

Ian

This could be the basis of a nice cheap little astro-photography computer?

I had exactly that thought when I saw one of those in Maplins. I was thinking a proper waterproof box with a cheap hard drive, and a wireless usb dongle. I'd have the box of tricks sitting under the mount and just use remote desktop from the warmth of the house. It even has a serial port :)

Gepetto is another one who deserves a knighthood for serivces rendered. :p I am not an electric whizz, although I'm doing an electronics course with my kids and am pretty handy with hardware - found myself whizzing around Amazon UK, Maplins and Bitsbox, pressed a few "submit" buttons and now I have a lighter wallet! :)

Now I am sitting here with a real excitement as I undertake yet another exciting project.

All these new neural pathways being formed in the last couple of years, it's no suprise if my head explodes!!! ;)

Thank you Gepetto for the parts lists. :D

This might be useful if you're mounting the camera circuit board

in a new case (well advised if you're new to this stuff).

**Pack the lens block hole with cotton wool before starting...getting glue on the sensor is a disaster**

The picture shows how to fasten the board to the case using the black plastic lens block. Once glued in, you are still able to remove

the circuit boards for further mods by unscrewing the bottom board from the lens block having first separated the two boards..

Araldite works well if you first roughen the mating surfaces with sandpaper..

Keep glue away from the two screw holes

The microphone shown in the picture (silver tube with a black felt disk on top) on some cameras, stands very slightly proud of the lens block surface..

It can be desoldered and removed but the safest way is to rough a little indentation on the surface of the inside case next to the

lens block hole... this will prevent the mic interfering with proper seating of the lens block.

One thing to watch out for is that in is own case, this camera uses a longer reach eyepiece adaptor (longer thread)...

Re housed in a new case, it doesn't need so much thread.

You can still use your adaptor but be careful not to screw it in too far and end up crushing the CCD sensor

The hole in the case is just a tad over 14mm, easily cut out by drill and round file....

lensblock.jpg

When I modified my webcam I made up a carrier board like this, with the LX circuit and a serial port control circuit built on it. I also left space for adding the amp-off mod and even a peltier cooler that I intended to position directly under the CCD chip.

The advantage to me was that I didn't have to make any track cuts, bend pins or solder anything to the camera boards.

post-17592-133877485829_thumb.jpg

post-17592-133877485837_thumb.jpg

post-17592-133877485845_thumb.jpg

post-17592-133877485854_thumb.jpg

post-17592-133877485865_thumb.jpg

Archived