NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from sunny Liverpool

stevirobbo

Hi my name is Steve and I have only just started gazing (well havn't looked at all yet) but looking forward to getting all set up and starting out.

Hope to learn all the basics and star maps etc

Got some binoculars and a skywatcher telescope so ready to go, hope to get to know some of you soon ;)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Steve,

A very warm welcome to SGL, as you are on the threshold of Astronomy as it were, you will , no doubt, have many questions to ask, it is worth remembering the only daft question is the one you don`t ask, enjoy the forum.

John

Thanx for all your warm welcomes and thank you for the tips also ;) get myself down to the shop tomorrow and pick up a copy.

Haven't even taken my telescope out the box yet haha got to get a tri pod and flask first :mad:

I guess this is the best place to be for all the advice

Welcome to SGL Steve.

I see you have an EQ5 mount, what is the differences between the EQ's?

I got told my scope was too big for the EQ1 and EQ2 would be ok but not really suitable maybe you could throw some light on what I should be looking for, I have a Starwatcher 150PL explorer newtonian, So I need a tripod stable enough for this

Hi and welcome from me

The difference between the EQ mounts is the load they can carry (EQ 1 light load, EQ6 heavy load) and whether the mount is manual, motorised to allow the tracking of objects across the sky or has GOTO which, when set up, will point the scope at whatever object you select from it's onboard database.

Hi and welcome from me

The difference between the EQ mounts is the load they can carry (EQ 1 light load, EQ6 heavy load) and whether the mount is manual, motorised to allow the tracking of objects across the sky or has GOTO which, when set up, will point the scope at whatever object you select from it's onboard database.

I have been looking at the Skywatcher EQ3-2 Delux equatrial or The Skywatcher supertrak alt AZ motorised oir the Merlin Skywatcher multi function motorised tripod, which would you go for as they are all the same price?

Also these Goto's how do you stop them and go manual, can you even do it or do you have to view where it takes you?

I know ....questions , questions, questions lol

Hi there,

Welcome to SGL!

The goto will go to where you tell it (once you've aligned it so that it knows where it is). So you can manually drive the scope around the sky using the hand control or say 'take me to the moon' and it'll take you there.

I don't know your scope well, but I would have thought a 150 scope would be too big for the AZ or Merlin mounts. You'd need at least an EQ3. Its a great scope though, you'll have lots of fun with it.

Helen

Archived