Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

from sonoma county, california

drollere

greetings all!

i am a sixtysomething sonoma county, california resident. have a ph.d. in psychology, worked as a business consultant and entrepreneur, and retired early to paint and travel.

i was an avid amateur astronomer as a teenager, built my own 6 inch reflector with my dad, and went on to own a 10" newtonian from cave optical in long beach, refurbishing the 6" as a short focal length (wide field) scope on the same equatorial mount. that was a great instrument!

recently i began been collecting star atlases again -- norton's of course, my boyhood favorite; tirion's sky atlas 2000; uranometria; and finally the millennium star atlas. all superb works in their way, though none of them rivals the elegant panoramas of the old atlas coeli becvar, the huge format color edition ... anyone got one for sale?

anyway, i finally decided to get a meade 12" LX200-ACF -- debated between that and the discontinued LX400, but felt the 400 was too much an astrograph. i'll post shakedown comments, an instrument review and will look forward to stimulating discussions of all things celestial.

bruce

p.s. -- i was not smart enough to figure out how to leave a location marker on your locator map. the header said "to mark, click on the map" so i clicked on the map ... all i got was a bigger map.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Bruce, and a warm welcome to the SGL Forum. It's great you are back into astronomy, and having built your own scope wth your fathers help, it was never in doubt you would return.

You have the Meade 12" ACF, a nice Instrument, and great for photography if you are inclined to delve into the Dark Side as we term it here.

Nortons is still regarded as the Astronomers Bible in many quarters, an I would not be without mine, although it's a bit Dog Eared now.

Regarding putting a pin on the map, I'm sure Ant. will guide you towards a successful result on that, just give him time to read your post.

Enjoy your stay.

Ron.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived