NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

1st Jupiter and proud

TopHouse

I have to say I am REALLY proud of this, it's my first go at Jupiter, the cloud cleared tonight for just long enough, I did two sets of avi's one has a decent Jupiter and just shows the moons, I altered gain to bring up the moons better for a second, then did a cut & paste job to put my decent Jupiter with my decent moons.

The three pics below show the two separates and the combined version.

post-18181-13387746639_thumb.png

post-18181-133877466404_thumb.png

post-18181-133877466423_thumb.png

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Excellent images, much better than any of my Jupiters to date.

I consider that VERY high praise John, I've only had my laptop a little over a week and this is probably about my 5/6th ever toucam capture and I credit you with a lot of my learning, especially with regards moon.

Thanks for the other comments guys.

Very impressive,i am patiently waiting to use my Celestron NextImage ccd for the first time,just loaded the software on the laptop and had to download the Philips SPC 900 software to run it on Windows 7 (as per Celestrons instructions) so it would recognise the camera (must be a Philips camera/clone i assume).

Regards nibber

I highly recommend you install WcCtrl though as the philips control interface is awful, it doesn't give any actual figures for shutter speed etc, WcCtrl does AND it allows you to save multiple templates of settings so you can have base settings for say moon, and planets pre configured. It's free and very good. link here :-

http://www.burri-web.org/bm98/

Excellent stuff. I'm still waiting for the opportunity to try my hand at Jupiter. All this waiting for a clear night is starting to get tedious now :) . If my first attempt were to turn out only a fraction as good as yours, I would be grinning like a Cheshire cat :D

I even just caught GRS which was a bonus, the cloud was thick last night and my comp is next to a window, I keep looking out and tutting, then last night, i looked out and saw this lovely bright 'star'. Instantly the scope was out and the laptop on a dining chair, no scope cool down even, total time outside before the cloud came back was about 1 hr 15 mins, so it makes it even more of a bonus that it came out as well as it did.

Excellent images. I managed an hour on Jupiter last night before the clouds came (again) my first good view of it through a scope and it looked beautiful. Great that you caught it so well. One night for you to remember.

Great Shot!

I had a little play (I hope you don't mind?)

I notice there are 4 other things that look like moons as well :).

One at 4 o'clock one at 10:30 and one at 12 o'clock and one at 1 o'clock. If you can check the ephemeris you may be able to confirm this and identify them.:D

Although another play reveals that the last 2 have trailed and may be stars?

post-16237-133877466673_thumb.jpg

post-16237-133877466678_thumb.jpg

Archived