Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

E.Bay Madness ?

John

I've just watched a used William Optics SWAN 15mm 1.25" eyepiece get bid up to £61 on E.Bay !. With the £6 P&P that will be £9 more than First Light Optics new price for them !.

Crazy :mad:

Good old "bidding with the blinkers on"

People forget to actually check the price of something online. Loads of things on eBay are higher than other sites, people just think it's always a bargain

What are people thinking???? Is it really that much of a competition that they must win, even if it means paying over the odds.

I think Russ has hit the nail right on the head, it's an obsession that they win it, irrespective of the money or the item involved.

Crazy People

I never sell anything on ebay as an auction, only ever as a buy it now. My prices always reflect what the value of the item is and what it would be if it were advertised somewhere else.

In god knows how many years of ebaying I've only ever had a couple of things go unsold.

As for paying over the top then yes it looks like they got caught up in the "only £1 more and it could be mine" trap.

I've sold about 10 or 15 items on Ebay. Mostly they go for roughly what I expected. However, sometimes I get much less (a set of feet for an Edwardian roll top bath sold for just £9.99), sometimes much more (Canon FD fit f1.8 50mm lens for £27). Overall, it's been a good way of selling items that I can't sell elsewhere.

I always make a habit of checking the new price before bidding and then set a limit that I think still makes it worth buying on Ebay instead of a shop. If it goes beyond that then there'll be another one along at the right price.

I remember a few years ago I got some off-road kit called "waffles" which are like two bits of track that you put under the wheels to give you grip or use as a bridge for getting over ditches. Anyway, it took me three months before I got the right ones at the right price, which was half the price I could have paid.

Not had that much success in selling though. :mad:

loads of bargains :mad:

I was not knocking e.bay particularly, although you do need to know exactly what you are looking for to buy astro stuff there I believe. I've had some great bargains from there, a mint 10" Skywatcher dob for £100 for example, but sometimes silly things happen.

I agree John.

eBay can be an awesome place, it just takes patience to pick up the bargains, and lots of hard work to make a living (not exactly shifting slabs for a living mind you).

I think a lot of sellers lose out on collection only though, I keep all the packaging and if FLO can courier it to me in one piece I am sure I could if I wanted to sell it on Ebay. With the price of fuel its cheaper to courier anyway in most cases, and so simple they even collect from you.

I was not knocking e.bay particularly, although you do need to know exactly what you are looking for to buy astro stuff there I believe. I've had some great bargains from there, a mint 10" Skywatcher dob for £100 for example, but sometimes silly things happen.

Yep, you have to be prepared to take the odd knock. But there are some superb bargains to be had if you not what you are doing.

Archived