Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

If you won the lottery what astro gear would you buy and why?

rowan46

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd go into aversion therapy for aperture fever cos the alternative is I'd be broke in 6 months from trying to buy something to rival Palomar.

I'd be trying to up the ante on the Eurpoean Extremely Large Telescope by comissioning the MULT (thats Melanies Unfeasibly Large Telescope) :)

That depends on how much you would win. I will the lottery all the time but amounts that would hardly get me anything on Astro Boot. ;-)

If I won millions I'd buy land or a property at the darkest place within reasonable distance and build a big obs there. maybe a metre or 2 aperture. No idea what size I would be able to afford with, say, a million quid...

If I won the lottery I'd have a multi apo imaging setup.

A large obsy with say 8 5" Apo's each one with a different filter so that I could get all the data in one session. All linked up to one computer with a multi monitor setup so that mounts can be either operated independently or in a group. As for the why part of the question, I'm very lazy and very impatient.

This of course would be in the garden of my self designed home in some area with gorgeous dark skies.

I was wondering about these big scopes. Do they actually still have an eyepiece? I have a feeling they only mount "instruments" on there. All the imaging is nice but I would want a scope that I can actually look through with my own eyes....

Palomar has an observing element - when it was first in operation it was used more. Its probably not used at all these days.

The observer sits in the centre of the scope where the secondary mirror would sit in a common reflector. Imagine that - a scope so large that you and your mate can sit inside the secondary housing. What a crack :)

Palomar has an observing element - when it was first in operation it was used more. Its probably not used at all these days.

The observer sits in the centre of the scope where the secondary mirror would sit in a common reflector. Imagine that - a scope so large that you and your mate can sit inside the secondary housing. What a crack :D

That sounds like my sorta scope...:)

.....and I stupidly thought this thread would seriously discuss the available gear in the upper echelons of "amateur" equipment , with some rational flair and enthusiasm......

spoilt for choice, we skip the sublime and leap straight to the ridiculous....

try this instead.. "if a mysterious benefactor bequeathed you a perpetual 100 quid a week to be only spent on bone fide astro pursuits, what would you start saving for?"

.....and I stupidly thought this thread would seriously discuss the available gear in the upper echelons of "amateur" equipment , with some rational flair and enthusiasm......

"if a mysterious benefactor bequeathed you a perpetual 100 quid a week to be only spent on bone fide astro pursuits, what would you start saving for?"

a trip to the palomar scope:D

over time I'd buy a fully set of TV eyepieces (although maybe not plossls) (all used of course - I'm tight)

then a larger dob - save for an OO UK 350mm with top quality optics

then a large APO (maybe 5") - I could probably not get larger than these as I would never get away with an OBS.

Archived