Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

If you won the lottery what astro gear would you buy and why?

rowan46

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK....no 200 inch scopes then :D

Not cheap, but 5 x AP1200 mounts.

AP1200 with a 14 inch Dall Kirkham (Orion optics)....mid range galaxy scope,

AP1200 with 2 x TMB 152 ( high resolution nebulae, stafields, galaxies etc, to be used in conjunction with the Dall Kirkham), 1 doing luminance and 1 doing RGB simultaneously.

AP1200 with a 14 inch Celestron Edge HD F11 SCT (planets/lunar planetary nebulae and small galaxies),

AP1200 with a Tak FSQ106 AND Baby Q 85mm (widefield), and one with a 16 inch F4.5 newt with 1/10 wave optics (big lightbucket for really faint stuff),

.... plus a 24 inch dob for visual.

Plus a variety of cameras ( 285 chipped and a bunch of QSI's) and a rather large observatory :)

One can but dream!!

Rob

Oh yes Rob - now your talking :) I think I'd want an RCOS though - don't forget cameras for each filter and a 5 scope rig on each one :D

I'd probably want to go for gas cooled cameras as well, if money were no object.

Christ knows how much that little list would cost!

I wonder whether some sort of prism/mirror arrangement would allow 4 cameras on one scope to keep the weight down?

I'd also want to house this somewhere suitable, say the canaries - and move out there to baby sit!

Richie

Karlo....yes, I have given it a great deal of thought!!.....you never know :)

BTW....This lot would be doubled....a northern and southern hemisphere setup, plus a Learjet for transport!!

Oh....and I'd buy back my original Charles Frank 6 inch newt :D

Richie.....a scope per filter would be the way to go. You'd only need 3 though for RGB as with full resolution and long subs you could forget luminance data.

Simply put

Move to Skiathos where we holiday

(this would include "The ark" - 4 cats, 20odd Kio)

Get a decent scope around 14" on a Goto mount that would image planets**

I would be happy

Wife would be happy cos she would help out at the cat welfare society there

(We just spent 3 days beach, 3 days at the cat place, 1 day on a yatch).

Its really dark with great views

Downside is apparently that when its winter it can snow and the power goes off

So a genny would be needed too

** Something like a paramount with a 14" 1/10 wave orian optics like newt would do me. I dont like C14s but I do notice a lot of very nice pics with them

A place in the sun

You can buy good weather... :)

Here here

Add to that early retirement, and the kit doesn't matter as much

With the time and the skies, even mediocre equipment could give fantastic results

i like living in the city so my gear would have to be transportable maybe hire a man to help set up paramount me pier tech tri pier 2 14inch celesron edge fastar and SXV-M25C televue 127is on eq6 pro synscan and a 25 inch obsession dob full set of televue nagler eyepieces and ethos eyepieces wonder what ethos eyepices on a bino viewer and 25 inch dob would look like and a big 4x4 would i be welcome at starpartys with that lot nearly forgot filters and pwermates etc

"over time I'd buy a fully set of TV eyepieces "

Hey Shane - you just won the lottery - surely you'd get them all at once? lol :D

no way as that would mean I'd have to wait in for the postie all the time :)

I was working on the £100 a week suggested by post #22 :)

shane

Dont forget you would move and buy a big house anyway so observatory is definately on! :D

Buy the missus summat to keep her happy while your out there scanning the skies.

Oh hang on,your tight i forgot :)

Gaz

ha ha true enough! in fact with all the dosh I could link up to the telly in the front lounge (sorry, the anterior reception room) and Julie could then watch the skies in the warmth of our 10 foot roaring fire. :)

according to the website the 13mm have been adapted for binoviewer i imagine that 2x13mm would give an even more immersive view but to be honest i dont know just put this thread out to give me some ideas of what i should be lusting after.

One alternative to buying huge pieces of kit or constructing some mammoth observatory might be to build a huge mobile observatory platform on the back of several lorries and with the money to afford some help and the time to be able to tour the country with it. The aim of this project would be ensure that as many people as possible get to see at least one distant astronomical object such as Saturn, once in their lifetime. You could tour the countryside like a traveling astronomical circus, giving talks, shows and of course that single opportunity to observe.

Most people spend far to much of their time looking down with their chin against the grindstone instead of glancing upward to allow their mind to escape to a different space. Can't think of better way to spend money!

James

I'd have an obsy built out at the Starpad with electricity, plumbing, and a warming room with a cot. And it'd have a 1200' tunnel going to it from the house, so i can use it year round even when the snow's shoulder deep.

Yep, i think that'd make a nice start. :)

I'd buy a huge observatory with all of the comforts of a warm room and a little kitchen to make snaks while observing. Of course in the huge observatory would be a huge mount and huge telescope. I would also probably buy the hill behind my place to build the observatory on top of.

good thing that dreams are free!:)

"according to the website the 13mm have been adapted for binoviewer i imagine that 2x13mm would give an even more immersive view "

I've actually seen through this setup - Denk bv's, 2x 13mm ethos, Meade 11" Cassegrain (might been 12") and to be honest it wasn't terrible good. I suspect the configuration was suspect rather than any individual peice. But I've had better views through my WO bv's with a couple of plossels on a CPC800.

I hope the chap concerned doesn't win the lottery cos his ep's were carelessly tossed into a bug plastic tub - sacrilege!! lol

If I won the lottery I'd get a twin axel caravan mod'd with a dome - pull out sides - and stregthened to take an expensive astrograph - and tow it with a Hummer - then tour star parties for 6mths over winter to avoid the press lol :)

Archived