Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Street lamp and the council.

kidlands

I read somewhere (not sure if was on here) that a fellow stargazer managed to get a street lamp modified with a cap of some sort or the sides painted or something so the light was less intrusive into his property.

Have any of you guys/gals managed this through the local council? I dont expect the council to replace the street lamp but if theres an option to paint the sides or even just the back of it would be an improvement.

I was wondering wether the fact that the lamp post is a few inches from my boundary fence right outside my forthcoming babies bedroom window would have some weight behind it. It shines right into it.

Of course the bonus is better observing for me too.

What do you think.

steve

I asked a council worker once (who rang his boss) if they would paint my side, but apparently it's only if it's actually shining into some-ones bedroom that they will do anything.

Luckily for me this was at the front of my house, and I don't do any imaging that side any more.

Carole

Steve i mentioned in another thread somewhere, that i got a long pole (real long!) taped a paint roller to it, dipped it into silver paint (as this looks like galss during the day and doesnt get seen easily) and i then went out at daft oclock and painted 2 of the offending street lights that were shining into my back garden!..i made sure i only painted enough of the glass to stop the light going into my property, it still shone in everyone elses...jobs a goodun!;)

id do it before you ask any council for help, that way they have no idea who done it, not that they could prove otherwise mind!:)

Steve i mentioned in another thread somewhere, that i got a long pole (real long!) taped a paint roller to it, dipped it into silver paint (as this looks like galss during the day and doesnt get seen easily) and i then went out at daft oclock and painted 2 of the offending street lights that were shining into my back garden!..i made sure i only painted enough of the glass to stop the light going into my property, it still shone in everyone elses...jobs a goodun!;)

id do it before you ask any council for help, that way they have no idea who done it, not that they could prove otherwise mind!:)

Would have been an interesting situation if someone came along when you were doing that, espcially a drunk, I expect they would have thought they were totally out of it.

You will never stop the "glow" unless the light is removed. To stop the Direct light Ive started to put objects in the way (in my case a tree and a giant buddleia plant. A pole with a shield will do the job although not as asthetically pleasing (obv the closer you are to the offending light the taller and bigger the defense). You can only place items blocking the light within your boundarys, also remember that tampering with the light itself is criminal damage...so dont get caught!

my post from an earlier thread

I simply phoned up the local council lighting guy, had a chat about the light that was shining into my bedroom, affecting my sleep etc etc and without any fuss or formality they fitted a shield! ;)

Make a note of the serial number of the light before phoning, saves doing it twice. Number is at about head height IIRC.

I filed a 'light trespass into my garden and bedroom' complaint on fixmystreet.com. Got a reply, but no action. The lighting contractor did not do much, so I replied to the council with slightly more irritated (but polite) language (as they had previously admitted that there was a problem that they were going to fix). One light got a new head (with shield) and the other got a shield. Both were close to the edge of my garden. I still have one a little way off, but I can duck down and it vanishes behind a hedge.

Send them a nice message when you get a result from them, might help others in the future.

All the best

PEterW

Update.

Sent email to the council and they phoned me back the next day.

They are going to paint back of lens to begin with and 'see if thats any good'.

Even mentioned to me that I could see how that is and if it doesnt work they will try other methods.

I know for a fact it wont be enough but I cant believe I've got this far.

result

• 1 year later...

I posted elsewhere a while ago that Plymouth City Council after one email within one week had replaced the tops of all the lampposts in my street - making the light shine downwards rather than out and replacing the bulbs with ones that only light down and not down and outwards. A complete success, definately, in my case worth the email.

Seems Norfolk County Council have loads of money, they have replaced the main road lights in Dersingham (B1440)with white light lamps and improved shields, i now see no orange glow in the distance about 5 miles and are now doing the same in my village wiring them up as i type, it also seems there going for the switch off at night scheme.

I've phoned Newcastle City Council three times to ask if something can be done about the sodium street light in the back alley right at the bottom of my garden and each time I've been assured someone will be along to see what can be done. Had zero success so far so not sure what my next course of action is, although the paint roller on a long stick seems like a winner!

I've phoned Newcastle City Council three times to ask if something can be done about the sodium street light in the back alley right at the bottom of my garden and each time I've been assured someone will be along to see what can be done. Had zero success so far so not sure what my next course of action is, although the paint roller on a long stick seems like a winner!

Well a bit of a result. Just phoned them again and they have just phoned back. The lady said there is nothing they can do because it's on the other side of the back lane so it would inhibit light shining down on the carriageway. I'd hardly call a back lane just wider than a car a carriageway so a little tete a tete ensued and it turns out the bright sodium lights which are currently in existence should have been replaced by much softer low energy white lights. So I have requested that all the lights in the back lane and adjoining back lane be replaced for the correct ones.

Archived