Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Essex/Suffolk border

Rhian

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you already tried it out and know how the do the alignment?

Think for that unit you need to select the alignment stars and drive the scope to at least the first one.

If not read the manual about 3 times, and do an alignment at least 5 times.

The alignment is not always as easy as the manufacturers make out.

Have you already tried it out and know how the do the alignment?

Think for that unit you need to select the alignment stars and drive the scope to at least the first one.

If not read the manual about 3 times, and do an alignment at least 5 times.

The alignment is not always as easy as the manufacturers make out.

Well i've set it up a few times and had a play around but then as expected it went cloudy :p (fingers crossed for this weekend!) and i just used it manually to get to grips with it all as i'm impatient and wanted to look at everything! :D

However i did get a bit confused with the allignment process! Will have to look over that all again and try and work it out - if it's unsuccessful then expect a thread with some questions..!

Hi, no post about the weekend. Were clouds to blame?

Have read posts here before and it seems that a good idea is to set the tripod and scope up as level as possible, then point the scope tube northwards and have it fairly level also. Then after that start the alignment process.

The SW's and Celestrons do not need this but it is a fair starting position and it helps identify the sections of the sky.

The SW's (or some) ask you to pick an area of the sky in a direction, say you pick North West. They then say to center the scope on star X that is prominent is that area. If the scope is first placed facing North then working out the direction is easier.

Picked North West as at present Arcturus is nice and prominent there about now.(Worth remembering).

Welcome to SGL Rhian! If you go for a 5mm EP, I would definitely go for a planetary (TMB or one of many others) they are way more comfortable due to better eye relief (optimal distance between eyepiece and eye). With Jupiter heading into our side of the Solar system (OK, I know it is the other way round) a 4 or 5mm planetary eyepiece will really come in handy. TMB Planetary type II costs around 77 EURO over here in the Netherlands (Robtics | Astronomische Instrumenten en Accessoires).

btw: a 4 mm delivers 142 x magnification on your scope, which should be OK under decent skies.

Have fun!

Michael

Hi 'Ryan' :)

Only joking - welcome from me to the forum. Don't forget the search button at the top of the forum for researching past subject areas and answers. Also, you may have heard of 'stellarium' which is a very useful bit of software which will help you to get to know the sky and to identify objects, be they planets or well known stars but not UFO's (I think that's in development :p) Its easy to download, easy to use and its free! You haven't mentioned whether your other half is interested in your hobby? Its always useful to get the partners involved, even if its just to keep you supplied with hot drinks and snacks - you'll need those for the colder winter nights.

As Astro Baby says, don't rush to buy and just take your time when it comes to buying kit. After 50 posts (it doesn't take long- a few hello's and a couple of 'I think your picture's great') you will be able to access the forum's own equipment sales page where there are always plenty of good eyepieces that members want to sell and you can find some real bargains on other kit too.

Clear skies Rhian and make sure your partner keeps that coffee rolling in! :eek:

James ;)

Welcome to the world of Astronomy and SGL Rhian, from another female Astronomer.

I'm suprised you knew i was female - get called Ryan a lot!

You sort of gave it away in your first post by saying you had bought your partner a camera and then HE bought me in return.........

You'll find you'll get sucked into this hobby and one thing will lead to another, so make sure you start saving your pennies NOW.

Carole

Archived