Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

June 24th, mediocre seeing but lots of moons

Starman

It is a 150% resize, yes. It's a bit easier on my eyes for aligning the channels, especially as I don't sit with my nose to the screen.

I've never used a C9.25 but Damian has and sings it's praises very highly for the planets. Ok, so the resolution isn't going to be a match for the C14/C11 but it does do an extremely good job on the Jupiter, especially.

Thanks all :rolleyes:

Ken - the extra Io was an aftifact, probably an over zealous clone-stamp used to remove the multi-coloured version of the moon that results from aligning the planet's disc. Once this has been done, the moons need to be done separately and re-pasted into the image, while removing the colourful version.

Well spotted - now turn your monitor down! :)

Thanks again.

The C-14 is quite large and bulky but much less of a challenge to lift than my 10" LX200. I've developed a technique where I can grip one of the rear handles and swing the OTA up so that it's level with the dovetail on my Losmandy. I've so far had two issues with this. One happened with the dovetail on the OTA slipping through the channel on the G-11 only to re-emerge half way along, by the clamping knob. This basically locked the dovetail bar in place and it was a struggle to release it on my own.

The first time I did it, I was a bit nervous and managed to get the C14 stuck on removal. This was in the early hours and I was out in the garden on my own. My choices were to let go which ran the risk of the OTA falling to the ground, shouting at the house to wake my wife up (not really a recommended option :) ) or jiggling the scope about until something happened. My arms were getting very tired but the jiggle finally worked (thankfully!).

A recent Jupiter session required the G-11 to be raised slightly on its legs. Lifting the OTA to slip it into place caused my back to twinge badly but I managed to shut out the pain :rolleyes:

Archived