Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings from the West of Ireland

Hartmann_Wetzlar

Hello from South Galway.

Skies are lovely and dark here in the countryside.

I am a very casual observer, like to look at the constellations (Delphinius is my favourite) and try see shooting stars.

I have a Meade telescope (from Lidl) but I prefer binoculars.

The skies here are fantastic, you can see so low down that I don't know the constellations!

I love the Sky At Night as it is literally the only programme on tv that has never dumbed down.I don't understand all of it but thats why I like it...it doesn't pander to dumbness.

Come to the West of Ireland, the roads are terrible but you will have a great time!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL

Many years ago I went to Dingle Bay, charming little place with so many pubs. Even peoples houses sold Guiness and had a sign outside :rolleyes:

It was weird sitting in someones lounge drinking Guiness

Hi Talitha,

I have a Meade ETX 70AT telescope (Lidl special)

Hertel Reuss 40mm 15x - 40x folding scope (excellent German quality)

Hartmann Wetzlar Porlerim 10x40 binoculars (as above)

Cambron 45mm 8x - 20x zoom monocular (not best quality but handy)

and Bresser 10x25 binoculars (cheap but not great for astronomy)

I have coming in the post Yashica 7x35 10 degree FOV binoculars which I expect to be excellent and easier to use than the Hartmann's.

Hi and welcome to SGL

Many years ago I went to Dingle Bay, charming little place with so many pubs. Even peoples houses sold Guiness and had a sign outside :rolleyes:

It was weird sitting in someones lounge drinking Guiness

There is a hardware shop in the town here that has a pub in it.On the west coast a lot of shops would have a pub and sometimes a funeral business (!) They can have a lot of charm - Dublin has pubs with loud music and sports tv.Very few good ones there.

I'm sure you loved Kerry!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there and a big welcome from me to the forum.

It does sound like you live in a great part of the world especially with very little light pollution. I can feel myself packing me bags already. When ever Sky at Night talks about 'dark' energy and 'dark' matter......we all know what their really talking about, but why they keep forgetting about that little harp on the front beats me!

Clear skies and a glass of the dark stuff!!

James

Archived