Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

OMG M42/3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kain

I HAVE JUST SEEN M42/3 IN THE DOB!!!!!!!!!!

My god it's beautiful!

Firstly I tried the Tasco, couldn't see a damn thing with it, it's uber carp compared to the dob, so I said balls to it! I got the dob out.

First thing after set up (no cool down time :shock:) M42...I almost fell over! Using the 2" 26mm EP it looked fantastic! Long sweeping nebula, the Trapezium and Running Man clearly visible. M43 looking stunning with the dark lane between the 2 areas of nebula... The whole thing is very majestic.

I then cranked up to 10mm EP..OMG again!!! The Trapezium was clearly separated into 4 stars, fibrous strands of nebulously around the edges of M42, M43 looking rather like a bobble on a bobble hat..absolutly stunning!

I returned to the 26mm EP, and took in Rigel and Betelgeuse. I manged just to make out the Horsehead Neb, though it looked like a slight bright patch tinged with a dark patch (nothing like a horse, but I knew what it was) M78 looked like a misty patch...WOW

Total in Awe at the moment! Well worth setting my alarm! Sadly I just couldn't get a pic of what I could see, so I did the next best thing and did a widefield..

image.jpg

Pretty pleased with that, I used the finder scope 'stalk' as a rest for the camera, piggyback style lol!

While I was out there, I took in a few other sights that were overhead. Aldebaran in Taurus looked fantastic! A lovely red colour, the Hyades 'V' looked really nice as I swept though it with the dob and finally M45... Looked fantastic now over head, much better than the last time I viewed it. The nebulously was easy to see around a couple of the stars, (forget the name of them :wink:)

I also manged to have a peek at Comet Swan, nice green fuzzy ball, first comet seen with the scope, but I really couldn't give a Rubbish...I had seen M42!

Having had another quick peak at M42, I decided to go back in as it's very late, and the old fogey neighbours would have probably started moaning as I sneezed (Sounds very load in the dead of night lol)

Man I can't wait till winter when Orion is up as a sociable hour...Expect lots of sketches!!!

I have also decided to invest in some more 2" EP, as there so must better clarity than the 1.25 EPs.

Man...I feel on top of the world now. The £300 odd quid for the big scope was worth every halfpenny.....

Kain

Hi Kain,

excellent report amd sounds like you had a blast. I can just about remember my 10" scope and yes the view of M42 was jaw dropping, so i know why you are on such a high. Such a good feeling when a nights observing goes well. Or at least it is until the fatigue sets in while at work the next day. Hmmm i have that to look forward in a few hours. :wink:

And you got to see Comet Swan as well :grin: Can't be bad!

Russ

Hi Kain, you beat me to it with the WOW's! Saw M42/3 last night for the first time in the Revelation, definitely worth staying up for! Last time I saw it was in my old 4" refractor, no comparison really. So much detail, all the wisps, dark bits, Trapezium, I think I'm in love! :wink:

Couldn't stay up for Saturn, wife seems to think I need sleep for work at 7am!

Excellent report as well and nice piccy.

Justin

I found a nice little dark spot practically in someones back garden lol, I ain't proud lol.

I was going to wait for Saturn, but It would rise behind a house, so I really couldn't be bothered. I can wait until it rises at a more normal time to see it!

M42...my patients got the better of me lol.

Kain

Nope Steve, there was something there, as I said looked nothing like a horse.

Just a dimish misty patch that seemed to have been split in half by something (Presumable the dark nebula of the horse)

My mate who I got out of bed to see M42 could aslo see it.

Kain

Hats off to you and your mate Kain :thumbright:

I often go to the Norman Lockyer Observatory (largest aperture 12") here in Devon. The members have been on a mission to see Horsey visually for a few years now but other than one member who thinks he 'might' have seen it - it still eludes them.

Thanks Steve. In averted vision its slightly easier to see, but nothing amazing to be fair, it's just more bragging rights really.

Apparently theres some nebulously around Meissa, but didn't look for that. Might have to try that next time.

Kain

I'm pretty sure you saw the Flame Nebula, Ngc 2024, in your 10", Kain. The Horsehead, B33, is an extremely difficult visual target. In fact, I've never seen it visually in scopes up to 42" from Kitt Peak and other very dark sites. Ngc 2024 is pretty easy in a 10" and is far enough away to the east from Zeta Ori to be seen, unlike B33 which is so close as to be inseparable visually.

The nebulosity around Meissa is very large, (270º across) and is larger than the North American Nebula. It's also fainter, so it's very hard to detect. Good luck!

Archived