NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from a complete novice!

Midn12e

:hello2:Hello everyone:hello2:

I have always been interested in Astronomy but never owned a telescope, or had to know how on what I was supposed to be looking at. But we all have to start somewhere.

At the ripe old age of 32 I have just bought a budget telescope to see if in fact this is something I will enjoy enough to invest more into.

I bought a Celestron AstroMaster 114EQ Newtonian Reflector telescope and in the last week or so have enjoyed looking at the moon in vastly more detail than I have ever seen before.

Next thing I would like to conquer is getting a glimpse at a planet. However, to be honest i didnt really look into the type of telescope I needed that much as I was governed by cost rather than functionality.

I would be interested to know if it is even possible to view a planet succesfully with the type of scope that I have?

I look forward to hearing from you,

Kind Regards,

Steve.

You certainly should be able to catch saturn with it. Get "Stellarium" which is a free planitarium software download - you'll love it. It'll show you where everything is at any time of day/night for your location once set up correctly. It can even be used to control telescope motors.

Let us know how you get on - welcome to the group :D

Saturns visible tonight after 9:30 towards the south west.

Hi Steve,

A very warm welcome to the forum. :)

Currently Jupiter rises in the early hours of the morning and makes a stunning view with his moons.

If you get up early, its visible in the pre-dawn sky about 15º above the Eastern horizon around 5 o'clock.

By six it's still visible in the lightening sky and, at about 25º, will have risen clear of the haze and murk around the horizon.

Happy hunting. :D

Hi from me too and yes you should be able to see planets easy enough. Jupiter and Saturn are the 'stars' of the night sky. Mars is always tiny and Venus is tough as well at the moment. Both Venus and Mars are always very small in almost any typ of telescope.

Hi Steve :)

A warm welcome from me to the forum. As others above have already said, Jupiter and Saturn will be visible through your scope. Let us all know how you got on and what you saw. :D:headbang:

James:icon_salut:

Thank you all for your kind words and welcome.

After a two weeks playing with my new toy and now my new camera attachments I can fully appreciate the buzz the you can get from Astronomy, last night was out til silly o'clock in the morning trying to get pictures of Venus that was being very illusive behind the cloud cover.

Then I got a good 20 minutes of clear view before it sunk behind the horizon! Was quite thrilling in away. However i did need the distraction as I was standing in the middle of a very dark field wondering if it was infact a mad axe that was rustling about in the distance trees!!!

I would love to go to a Star Party if anyone knows of any in or around the Essex area so I can learn more from the pros!

Thanks again,

Steve.

Hi Steve, welcome. Glad you got some views of Venus. Saturn is my favourite and always an 'easy reward' for the beginning of a session. It's a winner with the wife and kids too, they don't seem to appreciate DSOs much, but Saturn, to them that's a proper celestial object! (these are the same children who confidently affirm that the Sun can't possibly be a star as it doesn't have 5 points).

Archived