Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter is different somehow

gary1968

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. The Antipodeans are already posting excellent images & the SEB is very faint indeed. Last time this happened it took a couple of years to regenerate so we should get a good view when Jupiter manages to haul itself above the horizon!

This isn`t uncommon but its never happened while i`ve been in Planetary observing. Neil Phillips (a member here) took the first image of Jupiter from the UK (as far as i`m aware) the other day and that clearly showed it missing.....

Alan:D

It has happened before, quite some time ago, but as previously mentioned above, it took around a year or so to regenerate. So keep an eye out on the EZ etc cos if I remember when it started to regenerate it was "fun" watchung developments.

(This probably ages me, but I did start observing when I was 13! and now im er um 51!)

Kev

It has happened before, quite some time ago, but as previously mentioned above, it took around a year or so to regenerate. So keep an eye out on the EZ etc cos if I remember when it started to regenerate it was "fun" watchung developments.

(This probably ages me, but I did start observing when I was 13! and now im er um 51!)

Kev

Oh i didnt know it will take that long to regenerate. I really must try to have a look soon and keep an eye on it over the next year as Jupiter rises.

I took it for granted that there were always 4 main belts around Jupiter. I clearly saw 4 with my 90EQ about a yr ago. I was chuffed to bits. Jupiter has been the most rewarding planet for me visually and photographically. Saturn and its ring system has the edge though cuz it knocked my socks off. I'm still looking for those damn socks.

I dont suppose anyone knows the cause of this vanishing belt?

There are also changes in the other belts as well.

The northern dark belt is more prominant and the northern lighter belt has disintegrated somewhat. Other smaller changes are also noticable.

Interesting to note that it was amateur astronomers who first noticed the changes.

In the future, look out for brilliant white spots forming in the southern zone.Apparently they will start to spout dark blobs of material which will be stretched by Jupiter's winds into a new belt, and the planet will get its dark belt back.

Sorry, but I can't remember where I saw that report.

Its amazing to watch changes on things which nomally appear so static.

Im not suprised that this was first found my amature astronomers, there is still plenty for the amature to do, the Pro's are too busy looking at very small regions of space to be able to look at it all.

Archived